Career Con: Rubena Escar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Career Con: Rubena Escar

Rubena Escar is a mother of a child at Parks.  When she found out that career con was coming up, she decided she had the perfect chance to share information about her job.  Rubena Escar is a journalist for the LA times. She grew up in New Jersey, where she started writing. She was in first grade when she first fell in love with writing.  After writing for the class newspaper for about four years, Rubena moved to a Inglewood and created a class newspaper at her new school. In eighth grade, she became the editor of her school newspaper.  Even though Rubena’s family wanted her to become an engineer, she continued with journalism in high school and college. After she graduated from college, she became the editor for the LA times. They recently started working with NASA and even made a simulation of Mars on their website.  Using what NASA had learned about Mars by exploring it, and what the LA times had learned from reading and writing articles, the two worked together to create a rather accurate simulation of the planet. On the website, there is also a video game created by Rubena and her colleagues called the ocean game.  She recently wrote an article about the Martian islands and the rising sea levels. She has now been working for the LA times for 21 years.