• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Valentine’s Day: The Cost of Love

Hannah A. and Hannah T.

Roses are red, violets are blue. The honey is sweet, and so are you. For the 54.8% of people who celebrate Valentine’s Day, love is expressed in every way possible whether it be through hugs, boxes of chocolate or even a simple “I love you.” However before it was a day of love, Valentine’s day began as an act of valor in hard times. While love itself is priceless, the cost of love and maintaining it costs more than you think. From personal sacrifice to the sacrifice of your wallet the cost of Love is a true aspect of Valentine’s day.

The origin of Valentine’s Day begins with the story of Saint Valentine and the law enforced by emperor Cassius II. Cassius II thought that young, single men fought better while not in a relationship, so he outlawed young men to marry. Although the law was stated bold and clear, St. Valentine did not hesitate to be married. When he was caught marrying, because it was illegal at the time he was sentenced to death. When Valentine was in prison he sent a letter to his jailer’s daughter that he had healed. In the letter that he wrote it said to close, “your Valentine.” and that caught on and started the day of love and joy with the ones you hold dear. For Valentine the cost wasn’t from his wallet but his cost was his life.

In today’s society, love is much easier to express without serious consequences, except maybe the rapid thinning of your wallet. $116.21 is the average amount a consumer spends on Valentine’s Day, and most likely will spend more depending on the gift. The estimated, total cost of Valentine’s day is ‎$18.6 billion dollars and around 2 billion of that is spent on candy alone. Imagine how many boxes of chocolate 2 billion dollars can buy you. While chocolate is always a good choice, some people will go even further and buy diamonds, gold and silver for those they love. Out of the 18.6 billion dollars spent on Valentine’s day, an estimated 4.4 billion dollars will be spent on jewelry, which is more than twice the amount of candy money. Sadly, in today’s world money has started to take over showing true love, to the point of the cost of love being more important than love itself.

To wrap up all this sweet talk, the candy and the colors are only a cover for the sacrifice that ironically keeps this holiday going. Valentine’s Day is a day to express love, but behind its bubbly pink and vivid red colors the sacrifice for love remains, folded within history, kept behind white lace trimmings and love-filled words, and behind shimmering necklaces and boxes of chocolates lie words not said, and thinning wallets. Today love is expressed easily, maybe too easily because there is no sacrifice, no act of valor to buy chocolates. In reality, your wallet is doing the heavy lifting and not you. The battle of love was not fought to give chocolates to someone, and the prices people pay to today to express love barely amount to what Valentine originally fought for. Love has been, and always will be payed for, but maybe just in different amounts comparing to the love of the past.