Are Students Getting Enough Sleep?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Are Students Getting Enough Sleep?

Victoria K, Staff Writer

Your friend has their shoulders slouched and their head hung low. Under their eyes are a light shade of purple. What was the cause of this? Maybe they’re sick? Depression? If you said lack of sleep, you are correct. According to kidshealth.org, teens should be sleeping for 8 to 10 hours per night, but a lot of students are getting less amounts than the requirement.

One reason teens receiving less sleep could be due to school’s pressure, and the amount of homework. Some students may be pressured to complete tasks assigned to them, and eventually ends up sleeping late. Another reason involving this lack of fulfillment within sleep could be light from your gadgets. The apps on the device can distract one from getting sleep required. A significant reason of not receiving sleep  might involve busy after school schedules, like basketball practice, attending a club, or volunteering.

According to medicalnewstoday.com, some symptoms of sleep deprivation could be, “yawning, moodiness, fatigue, irritability, depressed mood, difficulty learning new concepts, forgetfulness, inability to concentrate or a “fuzzy” head…”

An article from cmclancaster.com offers tips about how to get enough sleep to feel energized the next day. The source mentions not to drink a caffeinated beverage after evening. Also, make sure your bedroom temperature is cool and all lights within your resting area are off. Create a regular sleep schedule that fits best for you, and make sure to fit with this schedule consecutively. A good tip before going to sleep is relaxing yourself or trying to read a book. 

Not getting enough sleep can ruin your mental and physical health. It is important that you maintain a healthy sleep schedule for yourself. Within the maintenance will lead to a healthier body.