Read Across America!

Courtesy+of+Flickr+

Courtesy of Flickr

Allison L., Staff Writer

“I will not eat them in a house, I will not eat them with a mouse, I will not eat them in a box I will not eat them with a fox, I will not eat them here of there I will not eat them anywhere, I do not like green eggs and ham I do not like them Sam-I-am.”      

– Dr. Seuss (Green Eggs and Ham)

Read Across America Day is all about the joy of reading. According to Ducksters, Read Across America Day is also to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday which is on March 2nd. Students, librarians, and teachers all observe this day by picking their book to read. Some schools also have book contests or book fairs that would encourage kids to read.

Now, how did Read Across America Day come to be? An article by timeanddate.com says, “In 1997 an organization known as the National Education Association (NEA), pushed for a special day to celebrate reading throughout the United States.” This was a popular idea so eventually it became an official holiday. This day was specifically reserved to be on March 2, 1998. Coincidentally, this was the birthday of Dr. Seuss. Dr. Seuss was a children’s book author and published many stories such as, The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Oh, the Places You’ll Go, and many more.

Some books that goodreads.com recommended are The Giver by Lois Lowry, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle, Holes by Louis Sachar, Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, and many other books.

Hope you read a lot on Read Across America Day.