Students Adjusting to In-Person School

vperemen.com

(Courtesy: vperemen.com) Person with mask

Abby Compton, Contributor

For the first 2 months of the school year, all Parks students were bored at home, zooming into their classes. Now, students have the opportunity to come to school in-person!

As of October 13, some students got to enjoy being at school and seeing their friends, and some chose to stay home. Although students get to see their friends, there are many guidelines and rules to be followed, that some choose to avoid.

The part students seem to find worst about hybrid learning is wearing a mask for the entire day. Although many people find it hard to have a covering on your face for hours at a time, some students feel no difference from regular school. “Wearing a mask during the whole time at school is not as hard as you would think. After a couple of minutes you get used to it and forget you are wearing a mask,” claims one student.

Although wearing a mask can make it hard to breathe, there are some exceptions to take it off. For example, Parks gets a total of three break times, one being lunch. When eating or drinking, students are able to temporarily remove their mask, just until they are done eating. It is best to enjoy the time without a mask, because you must wear it until your next break time. 

Another area students find hard to control is keeping a six feet distance. In classrooms, desks are set far apart, in order for students to keep distant from each other. Outside, there are social distancing dots in the theatron and other seating areas in order to remain six feet apart while sitting.

Although the dots help while sitting, students tend to come within six feet of each other when going to classes and walking around in the morning and at lunch. It also doesn’t help that many students choose to get closer to each other, even while sitting down at lunch. 

“At first it is hard to social distance from my friends but as long as you make an effort you can do it. It gets a little annoying after a bit because you almost have to yell to talk to people,” says another student.

Because some students can’t maintain a six feet distance from each other, teachers and supervisors often have to walk around in the heat to have people separate. This makes extra work for the staff members, when they could be enjoying lunch or getting their classroom ready for the next period.

Although some students find hybrid learning challenging, it is a needed experience. During times like these, it is important to be able to socialize and ask questions without the hassle of Zoom everyday. After all, everyone is eventually going to come back to school, so they might as well get used to it.