8th grade Washington D.C. Trip

Esther O., Contributor

Washington D.C., the capital of the United States of America, is a city on the Potomac River, bordering the states of Maryland and Virginia. The capital of the United States was originally located in New York City, but moved to Philadelphia when George Washington was reelected in 1792. After that, Thomas Jefferson was the first president to be inaugurated in the new capital of Washington D.C. in March of 1801. D.C. is not a state, although many think it is.
Every year, a group of 8th graders have the opportunity to go on a trip to Washington D.C. for 10 days with their friends and teachers. During spring break, this group of eighth graders take a flight to Washington D.C., in the states of Maryland and Virginia. This 14 day trip is a trip that is unforgettable for the travelers, traveling with their friends and teachers.

I interviewed current ninth grader Richard Han, who took the Washington D.C. trip last year. His honest opinion on this trip is, “I think the trip was really fun and it’s worth it if your friends are going. It gets more worth it as time goes, and the more friends you have with you, the more fun it is. But don’t worry, because you’ll definitely make friends there. It’s really fun and you get a lot of new things to try.”

Some of his favorite places that they visited was Gettysburg, and the Washington Monument. “Some of my favorite places to visit was Gettysburg and the Washington Monument. Gettysburg is known as one of the most haunted spots in the world because that’s where a lot of people died during the Civil War and it was a vital place which enabled the North to win. The Washington Monument doesn’t have a metal structure holding it upwards, so if you look at it from right below it, it seems like it’s swaying everywhere, because it doesn’t have a structure. It’s just rocks upon rocks piled on top of each other in the mountain shape that it makes.”
The Washington D.C. trip is a time of great enjoyment and fun for the travelers with their friends and teachers. It is a great experience for both the teachers and students, learning how to get along with one another for a week. The previous students and teachers who have took this trip strongly encourage the current eighth graders to join this year’s trips and the upcoming years too!