• March 12On Wednesday, the District-Wide Basketball Championship game will take place at Ladera Vista. Wish our teams good luck!

• March 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

• March 12What is your favorite holiday? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

Columbus Day

Noah, Contributor

Thanks to Christopher Columbus, we had Monday, October 9th, off. The question is, why? A lot of people know why Christopher Columbus is important, but a lot of people just hear his name, know we get the day off, and don’t know what he did.

Who was Christopher Columbus? He was an Italian explorer and navigator. states, “In 1492, he sailed across the Atlantic from Spain in the Santa Maria, with the Pinta and the Niña ships alongside, hoping to find a new route to India.” When he was a teenager, he went to work on a merchant ship, according to also states that he was attacked by French privateers, and he eventually ended up in Lisbon, where he studied mathematics, astronomy, cartography and navigation.

Where was he born and when? Christopher Columbus was born around 1451 and died around 1506. He was born in Genoa Italy, to a wool merchant named Domenico Colombo, and a woman named Susanna Fontanarossa.

What did he do and why? Christopher Columbus went on many voyages, going to the Bahamas, Venezuela, Cuba, Hispaniola, and encountered many natives. states, “Columbus has been credited for opening up the Americas to European colonization as well as blamed for the destruction of the native peoples of the islands he explored. Ultimately, he failed to find that what he set out for: a new route to Asia and the riches it promised.” Unfortunately, Christopher Columbus died around 1506, but fortunately, his legacy lives on, like many other great people.