• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

Heroes Reign -Chapter 7-

Susie Lee, Contributor

Suddenly, all my opinions on Saber dissolved. The glint in his eyes were equally terrifying to that of a dragon. I gripped my sword nervously, I didn’t know why I suddenly felt so afraid, I already knew that he wasn’t going to kill me or anything, but…

I run and thrust the sword forward, but it only hit the air. Saber, who was standing there a second ago, was now gone.

“You’re far to slow.” Saber tapped my shoulder.

I whirled around, but he was no longer there.

“Come on, show me what you can do, ” Then he added mockingly, “If you can do anything at all.”

I continued to swing my sword around, but Saber gracefully stepped out of the way and dodged all my attacks swiftly. Soon, my arms started to hurt. I can’t do this

“Can we rest for a while?” I ask, rubbing my shoulders. I wasn’t really tired or anything, but I was sure that I wasn’t going to hit Saber any time soon.

“Getting tired already?” Saber laughed.

“No, not really, but this is my first time doing this for real life!” I exclaimed, ” I only did these kind of stuff for fun!”

Saber looked confused, “You sword fight for fun?

“In my world, there was no need for sword fights. I only did fencing and Kendo, and I hardly remember anything.”

“A world where sword fight isn’t needed,” Saber murmured, “How peaceful.” He then turned towards me, “As much as I like that idea, in this world, fighting is necessary.”

“Yea, I know that. Jane already told me about the war and stuff.”

“But clearly, your not taking this seriously.”

“I am!”

“Then why don’t you hurry up and hit me?”

“Because you keep moving around and dodging!”

“On the battlefield, the enemy never waits and never plays fair.”

I groan and get up. Saber smiled, “Now come at me with all you got!”

Training was over at around 7 o’ clock. My whole body was aching. I still didn’t manage to hit Saber and he got a laugh out of it. After the training, we all got to lounge around in front of the castle door. I sat down on the stairs to rest.

“Was the training intense?” Saito sat next to me.

“Yeah, I couldn’t land a single hit.” I sighed.

“I saw,” Saito smirked, “No offense, but you looked super clumsy compared to him.”

“What about you? What did you do?”

“I just tried out magic spells.” Saito replied, nonchalantly, “Leith didn’t really teach me anything today, he said that he should know what I’m capable of first.”

“Was he the one in the dark hooded robe?”

Saito nodded.

I remember seeing him next to Saber behind Jane. His face was partially covered his robe, so I couldn’t see what he looked like. But what I could remember was that he held a dark blue book, and his robe and his book were embroidered with golden pattern.

“He doesn’t really stand out, does he?”

“I don’t think mages are supposed to.”

“Did you see that man, the one with slick black hair and purple eyes? He wore the black armor.” I asked him. The image of the dark man still stuck in my head.

Saito nodded towards the red haired girl, “Its her trainer, Leith told me. He said that his name is Draven.”

“I wonder if he’s as mean as he looks.” I wondered out loud.

My gaze wandered around freely. I obviously wasn’t familiar with the place, so many things caught my eye, the the pavement in the floor, the statues around the entrance, and things like that.

While I was busy looking around, I didn’t realize Ariel had approached us.

“You were the one training with the soldier, correct?” She suddenly asked me, which caught me by surprise.

“Uh, yea.”

Ariel looked down on me with her arms crossed. She narrowed her eyes.

Huh? Did I do something wrong?

“He was right, you really don’t look like your fit to fight.” She scoffed.

“What?”

“I mean look at you,” She grabbed me by my collar and lifted me up, “Your body seems like it knows nothing about fighting, even after all that practice.”

“You just came over here so that you can just make fun of me?” I didn’t know if I was more angry or confused.

“No, I’m not making fun of you, I’m just pointing out the obvious.”

“Dude, look, of course I don’t know how things work around here. We all don’t know how things work around here. So cut me some slack.”

“We were all chosen of our role because of past purposes. You must of been chosen because of something. But, your presentation was just unacceptable.” With that, Ariel dropped me and walked away.

I was completely baffled, so much I couldn’t get angry.

“What the heck just happened?”

I looked over at Saito, who seemed to be holding in a laugh, ” That was rude, but what she said wasn’t false.”

“Now you’re going to judge me?” I whined.

“Nah, I won’t stoop that low to judge you on something you can’t do yet.”

“Wow, thanks a lot.”

The entrance to the castle opened and Ray stood in front of, “Alright everyone, its time to come back inside. I’ll show you guys to your rooms.”