• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Day Six: Holiday Songs

Lynn S., Contributor

The Winter holidays are just around the corner, and many people have started to sing some holiday carols. Singing these carols has been a tradition which has continued for a very long time. In fact, maybe this year is the perfect time for you to go around your neighborhood and sing some Wintery songs with your families. You may have heard some very famous songs during this wonderful season, and the Parks Panther Press is here to tell you some of the popular Christmas songs that have been going around for ages.

“Jingle Bells”

Who doesn’t know this song? My family and I have been singing this song for ages; but did you know that “Jingle Bells” happens to be one of the best-known and commonly sung Holiday songs in America? This song was written by James Lord Peirpont and later on published under the title of “One Horse Open Sleigh” in autumn of 1857. So if your planning in singing “Jingle Bells”, don’t forget to get your hands on a bell or two.

“Silent Night”

This song would have to be one of my personal favorites. “Silent Night” has a very calm and soothing rhythm, and is another famous christmas carol that was composed by Franz Xaver Gruber in 1818. In 2011, “Silent Night” was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO. So if you want to go sing “Silent Night” make sure to go when the night is silent.

“Deck the Halls”

This song is about decorating your homes with lots of cheer to honor Christmas and all of our other holidays. The song “Deck the Halls” dates all the way back the 16th century! This song was written by Thomas Oliphant, and first appeared in 1862 in “Welsh Melodies”. So if you want to sing the carol “Deck the Halls”, make sure to leave your house decorated!

“Joy to the World”

This song is about Jesus being born on Christmas Day. “Joy to the World” is another popular Christmas carol. The lyrics were written by an English hymn writer, Isaac Watts, and were based on Psalm 98, 96:11-12 and Genesis 3:17-18, in the Bible. The first two stanzas rejoice about our world’s savior being born on Christmas Day. So if you are planning on singing “Joy to the World” make sure to be full of joy! 

“We Wish You a Merry Christmas”

This song is a long-standing favorite, and happens to come from the West Country of England. “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” is one of the only songs that mentions a happy new year. However, some say that many sing this song for a reward. Even the lyrics itself hints at it; but if you are wanting to go out to sing this song… wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!