• January 30“Try not to be a person of success, but rather try to be a person of value.” -Gordie Howe

• January 30Valentines Day is just around the corner! Make sure to buy your Valentines Grams for that special someone!

What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Back to Article
Back to Article

What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Edward B. and Barbie M.

Bullying is when someone is put down or made inferior by someone else who is usually bigger, stronger, or more popular than the other person. Bullying can take many forms; for example, the bully could be inflicting damage online in the form of cyberbullying. They could also be harming someone verbally or physically. If any form of bullying occurs off-campus, but still affects someone who attends Parks, this is still treated with the same consequences as on-campus bullying, and the targeting student may still be punished. Whatever form bullying takes, we need to stand up and say or do something.

The Parks Junior High Code of Conduct has a policy for bullying, and it covers the steps to take when either you, or a peer, falls prey to bullying. The first step would be to notify school staff, and this can be done anonymously. Our school has a ‘Suggestion Box’ located in our front office where you can just put in a piece of paper explaining your situation. If you do not wish to remain anonymous, you could talk to Mr. Bledsoe, our school counselor, or any other teacher or administrator. After the staff is notified, they are able to give consequences and talk to whichever students have engaged in any behaviour that contributed to the bullying. This cannot be done without someone speaking up.

If you see someone being bullied, you should take action. As Mrs. Miller always says, “If you see something, say something.” Ways in which you could do this is by letting a teacher know what is going on. You could even send a teacher an email if you do not want to talk to them about it. This is what you should do if you see someone being bullied in person or online.

If you are being physically threatened, on the field at lunch for example, what you need to do is to try and resolve the problem using words. You should not let the problem elevate to the point where physical contact is made. Ways to avoid a fight would be to walk away and let you both cool down, or to go and tell one of the lunchtime supervisors so that they can take control of the situation before it goes out of hand. Remember, a fight can only happen if there are two sides.

If you see a physical conflict on the field, what you should do is go and let an adult know. Do not go over and watch out of curiosity’s sake, because this will just goad the people on. Fights such as this have no place at our school, and if something like this does take place, adult intervention is appropriate. “When you see something, say something.”

1 Comment

One Response to “What To Do If You Are Being Bullied”

1. Mrs. Miller on January 22nd, 2018 12:01 pm

Excellent job!

• Arts & Entertainment

What Has Happened to the Anaheim Ducks?

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Features

The Hidden Story of Yasiel Puig

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Pewdiepie vs. T-Series’

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Features

Girl Scout Cookies

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Mission: Impossible – Fallout Review

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

NHL Superstar Jake Muzzin was Traded?

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

AJ Pollock to the Dodgers

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Features

Mrs. Vandergrift: Our Speech and Debate Coach

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Features

Energy Drinks Good or Bad

• What To Do If You Are Being Bullied

Features

Kindness Week

What To Do If You Are Being Bullied