• January 18This coming Saturday, January 26, is the Panther Palooza! Please see Mrs. Mundschau for more details!

• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

Amazing Star Events in 2018

Edward Bae, Contributor

On January 31, 2018 we had a Super Blue Blood moon and that was a combination of a supermoon (which makes the moon 14% larger and 30% brighter), a blue moon (where the dust particles makes the moon look bluish), and a blood moon (where the atmosphere of the earth filters the sunlight and shines a little of the sunlight in the moon making it look red). Coming up this year, we have a few more enjoyable sky events that you will not want to miss.

On March 7th and 8th of 2018, a Planet Parade will occur; this is when the planets Saturn, Mars, Antares, and Jupiter are all close to the moon and will be easily noticed. Antares, a planet not known by most, is 619.7 light years away from Earth and is part of the constellation Scorpius.

On July 15, the moon will be the closest to Venus ever, during sunset and will be approximately 1.6 degrees away which is around 3 lunar disks away from Venus.

On July 27, Mars will be able to be seen the closest to the moon and on July 31 Mars will be the closest to Earth making this a truly amazing experience which happened last in 2003 and will not happen again until 2035.

On August 11, a partial solar eclipse will happen in North America, Europe, Greenland, Iceland, and Asia. The best view will be at some places in Russia and lots of Northern East China. Contact your relatives that may be in the area, so they can have a spectacular view of a partial solar eclipse.

On August 12th and 13th the Perseid Meteor Shower will happen and at totality, there will be 60 meteors to be seen per hour. Basically, that would be lots of glowing massive dust particles with some other debris flying through the sky.
Hopefully you can see all these amazing star events listed here and maybe even others not listed here to remember for the rest of your life.