• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Why Mom Deserves a Diamond Contest

Alyson J., Assistant Editor

In 1993, Mike Watson, also known as Diamond Mike, founded the contest “Why Mom Deserves a Diamond” in honor of his adoptive mother and birth mother. Ever since the first winner, Margaret Ketchersid, presented her prize to her mom, it sparked interest to children everywhere. Today, this contest is made to honor all moms. The intention of this program has been for mothers and their children create a closer bond, and for children all over the United States to reflect on why their moms are such crucial part of their everyday lives.

Today, students from all over the nation enter their own personalized appreciation poems in hopes to receive the grand prize: a diamond, that can be put into a necklace or bracelet. If your poem does not win the diamond, the second place winners receive an amethyst, which is believed to sharpen intelligence. The third place winners will receive a garnet, which was believed to bring love and happiness to the wearer.

To enter the contest, you must write a poem, in class,  following a rubric and turn it in by the specific deadline. The materials and other directions will be given to your school sometime during December. However,  you must give it to your teacher for they are the only ones eligible to submit your entry. Orange County teachers are also capable of becoming judges for this contest.

Many contestants came from Parks Junior High, such as Maria K., Alicia L., and Eunice Y. These students made it to the semi-finals, which means that they were very close to winning the grand prize diamond! Although nobody from our school won, many of our students were awarded Amethysts and Garnets. Amazing job to all of the students, and good luck next year!

There is a way you can help support the contest! You could be a supporter of the contest by donating five dollars; that way the contest may continue to spread past Orange County into other areas. With your donations, children will have the chance to show appreciate to their mothers. You can help spread greater relationships with mothers and their children all around the world! Explore this amazing contest at whymomdeservesadiamond.com