• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

90th Academy Awards

Drawn by Dylan Kang

Drawn by Dylan Kang

Drawn by Dylan Kang

Andrew P., Contributor

The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, are series of awards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Hollywood given to recognize cinematic excellence of films. Last Sunday, March 4th, the 90th Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre, in Los Angeles, California. Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, the ceremony honored and awarded the best films of 2017.

Although the Oscars seem flawless and perfect, there are numerous accidents that remain as dark history. One current and memorable event occurred in the 89th Academy Awards when the the co-presenter Faye Dunaway falsely announced the winner of Best Pictures as La La Land. The producers and cast members from La La Land made their way to the stage to celebrate, but they are later interrupted by producer Jordan Horowitz. Horowitz showed the card to the camera which indicated Moonlight as the Best Pictures. After the awards, one of the co-presenter, Michael De Luca, opened up that there were some errors on the card and that there was intention to “turn the biggest award into a joke.” There were countless more mistakes and unexpected happening during the awards, but the Best Pictures accident would be remembered to the audience for a long time. The mistakes however are not as well known because they have been covered by the excellence of the Award.

A total of 3,072 Oscars have been awarded throughout the years of the Award. Several films and their casts competed for the honorable Oscars, and in the 90th Academy Award winners have been concluded. Drama, fantasy film The Shape Of Water won Best Pictures and the director of the movie, Guillermo del Toro, won Best Director. The Best Actor Award was given to Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour) and the Best Actress Award went to Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri). Along with McDormand, Sam Rockwell won Best Supporting Actor; and Allison Janney (I, Tonya) was awarded Best Supporting Actress. There were far more films honored with the Oscars and the 91st Academy Award will lead the legacy.