• April 3On April 19th, the annual Parks Junior High Talent Show will take place! Come to support your friends and teachers!

• April 3What is your least favorite day of the week? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• March 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

What is SpaceX?

Photo drawn by Edward Bae

Photo drawn by Edward Bae

Photo drawn by Edward Bae

Mark R., Contributor

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, commonly referred to as SpaceX, is a private American aerospace manufacturer and space transport company founded by Elon Musk. Musk’s primary goal in beginning SpaceX was to drastically reduce the cost of space transportation and to colonize Mars.

Spacecrafts such as the Falcon Heavy and the Dragon have been successfully launched by SpaceX. One of the greatest accomplishments achieved by SpaceX include the first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket to reach orbit, the Falcon 1, the first privately funded company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft(Dragon in 2010), the first private company to send a spacecraft to the International Space Station(Dragon in 2012), and many more. Not to mention, SpaceX has flown an astounding ten cargo spacecrafts to the International Space Station(ISS).

What is next for SpaceX you may ask? Well, Elon Musk recently revealed his new plan for a rocket even larger and more powerful than the Falcon Heavy. For a rocket of this scale, an enormous launch vehicle would be required. The Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR, according to Musk, would give off a more than 11 million pounds of thrust at liftoff. This is more than double the thrust power that the Falcon Heavy received. Furthermore, SpaceX plans to develop a spacecraft into orbit capable of carrying humans, which is a first for the company. This spacecraft, known as the Crew Dragon, will fly astronauts to and from the International Space Station. The Crew Dragon is said to launch into space by December. This launch will be an amazing moment in the field of space exploration because the Crew Dragon will be the first US spacecraft to send humans into space since the shutdown of the Space Shuttle program in 2011. Due to shutdown of the Space Shuttle program, NASA began to look at private aerospace manufacturers and space transport companies, like SpaceX and Boeing, for help. NASA awarded billion dollar contracts to them so they could develop advanced systems that could transport astronauts.

All in all, SpaceX is a amazing aerospace company and it will definitely revolutionize space travel and exploration. The way we think about space will never be the same and soon as Elon Musk said, we will hopefully be able to colonize Mars. SpaceX is the future!