• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Self-Driving Cars… the Next Technological Revolution or the Next Danger to Society?

Daniel S., Contributor

Many of you may have heard of self-driving cars. Some have called this new invention the next step in modern technology. Others have called it a menace to society that should never be regularly used.

First of all, what is a self-driving car? Also known as “autonomous cars”, these vehicles can travel without the need of human input. There are a variety of techniques these cars can use to safely navigate around obstacles. The most common are radar, laser light, GPS, odometer, and computer vision. There are many benefits that come with the use of self-driving cars. There will be reduced mobility and infrastructure costs, increased pedestrian safety, and less crime. Scientists have predicted that these vehicles will drastically increase the flow of traffic and will make the transportation of children, the elderly, and the disabled much easier. However, the most prominent benefit is that these cars will reduce air pollution. Although these cars will still emit the same substances created by normal cars, the improved efficiency would be a huge step forward toward a cleaner future.

Despite the numerous benefits that come with these vehicles, there are definitely some downsides as well. Many have become unfaithful to these cars after accidents that have occurred recently. There have been two self-driving car accidents that have occurred this year. One in Tempe, Arizona and another in Mountain View, California. Due to these incidents many  people have backed away from self-driving cars and began to question the safety of these vehicles. Another major obstacle that blocks the development of self-driving cars is hacking. Due to the fact that these vehicles will be fully computerized, they will be extremely susceptible to hacking. Obviously, companies are working to address this issue, but that doesn’t mean that the car isn’t vulnerable to hacking attacks.

In conclusion, self-driving cars definitely have some great benefits that will definitely improve society, safety, and the environment. However, there are definitely some downsides that mitigate the upsides. Whether you oppose self-driving cars or not, it definitely is amazing to witness a technological revolution that will go down in history.