• April 3On April 19th, the annual Parks Junior High Talent Show will take place! Come to support your friends and teachers!

• April 3What is your least favorite day of the week? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• March 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Sunny Hills Agricultural Program

Credit to pexels.com for photograph. Used under the Creative Commons license.

Barbie M., Contributor

Sunny Hills- a great school that offers multiple outstanding programs and opportunities for all of the students who attend. One of the most well-known and enjoyed program is their Agri-Science class. Divisions of Agri-Science include hands-on activities that give students the opportunity to experience science through agriculture. Some of the various branches of this agricultural program include Earth Science, Agriculture Biology, Veterinary Science, and more. Many of these classes are focused on raising plants or animals, or at least being around them, and in general learning about them.
In some of these programs, students can raise animals such as steers, goats, sheep, pigs, turkeys, chickens, and rabbits. The student will take care of their animal for a four year term, and at the end their animal will be put up for auction at the OC fair, unless they keep it themselves or give it to a person they know. Since it costs a good amount of money to take part in this program, if the student would choose to sell their animal, the proceeds would go to paying back some of the costs. While in high school, the students usually learn in a classroom environment, or they learn with hands-on activities. They have to take care of their animal after and before school, and this reflects on their grade.
While some students want to take care or any animal, maybe a plant would better fit them; and that is perfectly fine as well. While taking care of their plant, they would be learning about the various topics surrounding the biology of their plant; such as taking care of different types of plants, what kinds there are, and even possibly the history of farming methods. As the students raise their plants, they will have opportunities throughout the school year to sell them at plant sales that take place at the school. Since it costs to take place in this program, the proceeds from the plants would go back to the students so they could pay back some of the costs.

All in all, Sunny Hills High school has many great programs, especially the Agriculture program. It provides outstanding learning experiences and hands-on activities, which make it unlike any other class or program There are many variations to the class, allowing students to pursue what would interest them. So, if you are planning on going to Sunny Hills, and are not sure about what class you would like to take, the Agricultural program would be a great possibility.