• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

How to Prepare for a Test

Image courtesy of Flickr

Image courtesy of Flickr

Image courtesy of Flickr

As you may know, state testing is just around the corner. Now it may not seem like something to look forward to, but it is time for you to take the initiative. Being prepared for a test requires both mental and physical preparation. Maintaining a healthy and rested body is just as important as knowing your formulas. Here are some tips that will ensure success on your future exams.

First and foremost, do not cram your studies into one period of time and sleep sufficiently. Sure, studying is vital part of academic success, but what some “crammers” fail to realize is that sleep is equally significant. The average teenager requires about 8 ½ hours of slumber to feel fully rested the following morning. According to the National Sleep Foundation, only 15% of teens reported sleeping 8 ½ hours on school nights. Without sufficient sleep, one can expect to have a lack of concentration and memory. Cramming the night before a big test is, all in all, not a good idea.

So, you’ve decided to not cram all your studies into one night. Now what? Well, you should organize your studies. Make a set schedule and separate your study time into several segments. Maybe you could study one subject per day, or maybe you could study with your friends. Studying with your friends can allow for a deeper understanding on a certain subject. All in all, the main point is, be organized. Always maintain an appropriate balance between your study time and your leisure time.

Lastly, remember to constantly drink water and consume a variety of foods. Eating unhealthy food, however, will do you more harm than good. Not consuming the essential vitamins can seriously affect your mind and ultimately the grade on your exam. Instead, try eating some healthier options such as fruits, proteins, or veggies. If you can, bring a water bottle or some small snacks to take with you on test day.

In conclusion, now you know that test preparation is quite harder than it seems. Sleeping sufficiently, making an organized schedule, and consuming healthy food are all essential components for preparing for a test. At first, it may seem like an arduous task, but if you are manage to make these three things habits, they will definitely benefit you in the future.