• May 1This final month is filled with field trips, special events, and much more! Look out for new articles to find out more.

• May 1Which theme park do you prefer? Take the poll on our homepage to express your opinion!

• April 12Check out our new High School column to learn more about Troy, Sunny Hills, Fullerton, OCSA, and many more!

Mrs. Turner’s Retirement

Photo courtesy of the Parks Panther Press

Mrs. Turner has been a teacher for 45 years and she has spent the last 29 years of it here at Parks. She started at Parks as our choir teacher, but now works in the physical education department. I had the wonderful opportunity to interview Mrs. Turner about her experiences here at our school.

At first, many people are confused about what they want to work as be Mrs. Turner has always wanted to be a teacher. Her reasoning for wanting to be in this profession was her love for kids. “ I love teaching kids. It’s so exciting to see them learn new things and the see them grow and actually get better at the activity.” Mrs. Turner definitely has a love for her students that everyone can see. Whether you are one of her students,  or just see her on campus, she gives the same warm smile to everyone she greets.

Out of all the subjects, P.E. and choir are some of the most difficult subjects to teach. They require a very dedicated teacher as well as dedicated students. Not everyone can make the choir cuts and not every student is willing to do physical activity. It takes a dedicated teacher who loves what they teach. Mrs. Turner has majored in both areas, P.E. and choir. Mrs. Turner said, “ I’ve been lucky enough to be able to teach both classes here and I’ve loved it every minute of it. Both are fun to teach.”

Many teachers have a specific favorite part about their job. Special experiences are things every teacher loves and cherishes forever. When asked what her favorite experience with her students was, Mrs. Turner happily responded with, “ Every opportunity that comes where I can teach my kids unlearned things is my favorite experience. I get so much joy out of being able to teach students how to play a sport or sing but when I sit back and can watch them actually accomplish the task successfully by themselves makes me really happy. Their joy of accomplishing a task is really an amazing thing and be a part of.”

Although teachers love being with their students, everyone looks forward for their retirement. Mrs. Turner is no different. She has big retirement plans ahead of her. Since Mrs. Turner’s big heart is always thinking about others, she wants to help teachers better experience their teaching career. During retirement, Mrs. Turner wants to, “… work with CTA retired (a retired teachers organization where retired teachers help new teachers get a better start into teaching different age groups.) I also would love to develop a mentor program for retired teachers where they can make themselves available to encourage and to keep new teachers from leaving profession in 5 years. I want to keep them out of the teaching slump and realize this is a great profession to be in.” Lots of people could benefit from her experience and her passion towards her profession. Although she is focused on helping others, Mrs. Turner is also, “… hoping to travel to England. My daughter is there and I want to visit her there.”

Every teacher’s hope is to make a lifetime impact on their students. They all want their students to remember them in a positive way for something they did. Mrs. Turner hopes that she made her impact, “… by treating all students like they are human beings and being respectful towards them. If I treat them with respect and truly show them that I care, you would be surprised to see how many show respect back as well as to their fellow students. I love my students so much, I only hope they will remember their time here at this school and remember me as a great teacher.”

Mrs. Turner is an amazing teacher who truly has made her mark on Parks Jr. High school. Her sweet yet funny personality has touched every student who has ever talked to her. She is a great person who has changed the lives of many over her 45 years of teaching. Thank you Mrs. Turner for everything and we wish you good luck during your retirement!