• September 19Join Club Live Pantherpals today!

• September 18Typhoon Mangkhut hits China, killing over 40 people in the Philippines.

• September 17Parks got 5th place out of all schools for the Speech and Debate tournament.Madison Moreno won 1st place for Informative speech, and Addie Roque won first place for Poetry.

The 40/40 Challenge

Irene S., Maddie G., Hannah G., Madison M., and Parshwa P.

An amazing challenge that the students at Parks Jr. High are taking place in is the 40/40 reading challenge! The 40/40 reading challenge includes different rules, expectations, and benefits. In this article we discuss the rules, expectations, benefits, and book recommendations.

The 40/40 challenge may sound daunting at first, but when you break it down, week over week, reading a book a week seems reasonable. This challenge has many benefits such as increasing your vocabulary, enhancing critical thinking skills, and expanding one’s knowledge of the world. Reading books also helps elevate your imagination which makes you a better storyteller, that is well spoken and creative. Just think, if you spend one hour per day swapping video games or T.V. with reading a book, that is 7 hours per week of reading. This is manageable.

The 40 books in 40 weeks challenge has some basic rules and expectations for the students to follow. Every student is held responsible for reading one book each week, and bringing it to class everyday. If they start a book they must finish the book or it will be considered incomplete. That means that the students are not allowed to read half way through their book and decide to read another one. If a book is 200 pages it is considered one book, 400 pages is considered two books, and 1,000 pages is considered five books. The students must also read a book in their appropriate reading level (i.e. 7th grade reading level for seventh graders). The book should not be too easy or advanced for them. It is also recommended that they take their time and thoroughly read their books, for they will have to fill out a short form after finishing each book. The form consists of them writing a short summary on the book they read. They should also remember to log their books weekly. Everyone should read at least a little bit each day, and if they do so, they will be able to finish their book in no time. The rules to the 40/40 challenge applies to every student, and should be followed.

We know many of you may not like to read, or some of you can be complete book worms with your head buried into a book for hours. Either you are a bookworm or not, here are some tips and tricks we have. The first tip is to read at least for 30 minutes everyday. Begin by finding out how many pages you have and divide that by 7, and you will find out how many you pages you will need to read everyday to finish that book by Sunday if you start on Monday. The second tip we have is find a cozy or comfy reading spot, so you will look forward to reading after school. The third tip we have is try to follow the authors, series, or genres you like, such as Sci-Fi, Horror, or Fantasy. The fourth tip we have is to carry a book with you, you don’t have to all the time but maybe once and while you can read your book instead of going on your phone or electronic. The fifth tip we have is, to visit your local library (Fullerton Public Library) to see if they have your book interest. Below are some recommendations of books you should think about reading:

• Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
  • Wonder (R.J. Palacio)
  • Chinese Cinderella (Adeline Yen Mah)
  • Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
  • The Trials of Apollo (Rick Riordan)
  • The Giver (Lois Lowry)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

The 40/40 challenge is very important for students to take seriously. This challenge improves the reading of many students, and also benefits them greatly. Not only is this project happening at Parks Jr. High, but also in other school districts. This shows how beneficial and rewarding the outcome of this challenge is. We hope that those reading this article will find it helpful, and informative, and to students we wish you the best of luck.

Have Fun Reading!