• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

The Importance of Sleep

Maddie G., Contributer

Have you ever felt really tired at school, to the point where you were almost about to fall asleep in class?  Well, you were probably sleep deprived. Sleep deprivation is really common for most teenagers, because they are often changing their sleep schedule. Sleep schedule changes may occur due to a student’s school work.

According to nationwidechildrens.org, the average amount of sleep teenagers should be getting is nine and a half hours.  Yet, most teenagers are only achieving seven and a half hours. Over time, this can build into life long health and sleep issues such as:

• A lack of focus/ability to solve problems in class
  • Rapid mood swings
  • Contribute to acne
  • Making poor food choices
  • Lead to aggressive or inappropriate behavior

To prevent sleep deprivation, students should make sleep a priority, as sleep is food for your brain.  If you don’t get enough sleep the night before, taking a quick power nap can help to recharge your brain. But, be sure the nap is timed right.  If taken too late, it will interfere with your sleep at bedtime. Also, make sure to not have any caffeine late at night. Consuming tea, soda, or coffee beverages too late will disrupt your sleep cycle.  And finally, establish a bed and wake up routine, and try to stick with this on the weekends too. A consist routine will make you feel less tired, and it will also be easier to fall asleep at night.

Once you figure out your sleep schedule, stick to it!  Yes, it may be a bit difficult, while also juggling family life and extra curricular activities.  But, staying on your regular sleep schedule will make it easier to get up in the morning and get ready for school!  No one has the same sleep schedule, so make sure to create one that works for your personal schedule.

Being comfortable is also very important to getting your full nine and a half hours of sleep. If you buy the perfect pillow and mattress, it will allow you to fall asleep faster because you will be more comfortable and will sleep soundly.  Be sure that the pillow and mattress you are using supports your back and neck properly too. If not done soon, or taken seriously, this can lead to health problems later on. And, make sure to wash or replace your pillow once in a while, because the pillow can accumulate dust mites, bacteria, and dead skin cells.  

In conclusion, sleep is very important and should be taken seriously. Not enough sleep will make you drowsy, but too much can cause health problems. If taken in moderation, you will get the right amount of sleep and feel great when you wake up!

1 Comment

One Response to “The Importance of Sleep”

1. Melodie Santana on September 10th, 2018 9:20 pm

Maddie,
    I loved your article on the benefits of having a regular sleep schedule. Your advice is very helpful to both teenagers, parents and grandparents. I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night. I know you will stick to your sleep schedule!

• The Importance of Sleep

Student Life

Showing Gratitude

• The Importance of Sleep

Science & Technology

Can Knuckle Cracking Actually Cause Arthritis?

• The Importance of Sleep

Fun Facts About Everything: Halloween Edition

• The Importance of Sleep

Student Life

Effective Study Habits of Successful Students

• The Importance of Sleep

Sports

NBA Highlights: October

• The Importance of Sleep

Sports

2018 World Series

• The Importance of Sleep

Science & Technology

Donna Strickland: The Third Woman to Win the Nobel Prize in Physics

• The Importance of Sleep

Parks Partners With Thrively

• The Importance of Sleep

Sports

Boston Celtics: Kings of the East?

• The Importance of Sleep

Dia De Los Muertos

The Importance of Sleep