• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

NBA Offseason 2018-2019

Tay Kim and Ryan Lee

With the 2018-19 NBA season just around the corner, let’s recap what has happened over this year’s offseason. With this year’s NBA Draft and the trades and moves made by players, there was surely a bunch of unexpected and surprising moves this summer.

2018 NBA Draft

In yet another hyped-up draft class, this year was definitely a surprising one. From the tight race for the number one overall pick, to the unexpected picking of Michael Porter Jr., this one was surely special. Some of the most popular names headed into the draft included Trae Young, DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic, and Marvin Bagley III, just to name a few. And, here are the highly anticipated lottery picks:

1. The Phoenix Suns selected DeAndre Ayton from the University of Arizona
  2. The Sacramento Kings selected Marvin Bagley III from the University of Duke
  3. The Dallas Mavericks selected Luka Doncic from Slovenia (Via Hawks)
  4. The Memphis Grizzlies selected Jaren Jackson Jr. from Michigan State University
  5. The Atlanta Hawks selected Trae Young from the University of Oklahoma (Via Mavericks)
  6. The Orlando Magic selected Mo Bamba from the University of Texas
  7. The Chicago Bulls selected Wendell Carter Jr. from the University of Duke
  8. The Cleveland Cavaliers selected Collin Sexton from the University of Alabama (Via Nets)
  9. The New York Knicks selected Kevin Knox from the University of Kentucky
  10. The Philadelphia 76ers selected Mikal Bridges from the University of Villanova (Via Lakers)
  11. The Los Angeles Clippers selected Shai Gilgeous-Alexander from the Univeristy of Kentucky (Via Hornets)
  12. The Charlotte Hornets selected Miles Bridges from Michigan State University (Via Detroit)
  13. The Los Angeles Clippers select Jerome Robinson from Boston College
  14. The Denver Nuggets selected Michael Porter Jr. from the Univeristy of Missouri

However, one of the most surprising and unexpected moments was when Michael Porter Jr., one of the most anticipated players coming into the draft, was selected as the 14th overall pick. Regardless of him being one of the nation’s top prospects, NBA teams passed up on him due to his recent injuries. He had suffered a back injury that forced him to play just 2 games of his college basketball season, and also went through a surgery. With concerns of him not able to stay healthy, lots of the NBA teams did not select him.

Major Signings

Lebron James and the Los Angeles Lakers

One of the major headlines this year was whether or not LeBron James would stay with his hometown team, the Cleveland Cavaliers. But even from the beginning, many suspected he wouldn’t stay, for the management in Cleveland failed to surround him with good enough talent to defeat the Golden State Warriors and become champions once again. Some of the top options for LeBron included the Los Angeles Lakers, the Houston Rockets, the Cleveland Cavaliers, and the Boston Celtics. But, in the end, Lebron chose to go with the Los Angeles Lakers, not only because for basketball, but for family reasons as well. With the combination of the world’s greatest player, a young, talented core, and the additions of some key veteran players, the Lakers seem to be the most improved team in the league after this offseason. All these moves will slowly, but surely, help the Lakers regain their past success.

Demarcus Cousins and the Golden State Warriors

Most NBA fans speculated that Demarcus Cousins would stay loyal to his team and resign with the New Orleans Pelicans. But boy were they wrong, because Cousins has made one of the most surprising moves in the past decade. But to be honest, this is a poor move for Demarcus Cousins as an individual.  Sure, he might have success as a player, but he will now continuously receive backlash from fans all over the league. And not to mention, his now former teammate, Anthony Davis, wore his jersey for him during the All-Star when he was absent with an injury. To just leave loyal fans and an amazing teammate like this will hurt his legacy for years to come. But it seems obvious to fans now that the Golden State Warriors are one of the most dominant franchises in any major sport in recent years. And, with the recent addition of Demarcus Cousins, one of the top big men in the league, they really do seem even more unstoppable.

Paul George and the Oklahoma City Thunder

After Paul George publicly stated last year that he wanted to play for the Lakers, many expected him to do so this year. However, most people were surprised when Paul George announced that he would sign a four-year, $137 million contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder. However, this is really good news for OKC, for since they have already lost one of their star players, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George staying for another four years will keep them solidified as playoff locks. This was definitely one of the most surprising moves, for he even publicized his interest in playing in Los Angeles.

To Be Continued…

Sources: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/21/2018-nba-draft-grades-players-teams-pick-analysis http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/25/morning-tip-2018-nba-draft-review-luka-doncic-trae-young-marvin-bagley https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/6/15/17362958/michael-porter-jr-nba-draft-stock-pick-back-injury-surgery https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-free-agency-2018-player-movement-signings-trades-offseason-grades-for-every-team/