• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

Speech And Debate

Nicholas Kim, Contributor

Parks Junior High School is opening a Speech and Debate Club for the first time. The club is supervised and taught by Mrs. Vandergrift, Mrs. Lexi, and Ms. Finny. The club has officially started in August with a group of kids hoping to enter the national competition in June.

The Speech and Debate Club is all about persuading the judges at local competitions about the topic or subject that the competitors are given. Team members can act or talk to convince the judges and audience about their cause or story. It’s also fun and interesting to watch fellow competitors talk either enthusiastically or seldomly, especially considering the fact that these prompts can be given fifteen minutes before the competition!

The first upcoming tournament is on September 15 at Century High School in Santa Ana. Only the members participating in the Speech Spectrum will be attending. The competition is about giving out different types of speeches, such as a humorous interpretation or a dramatic interpretation. There will also be another competition in November. Mrs. Vandergrift says, “One of the more serious ones.” However, the National Competition in June won’t be able to accept all participants hoping to enter. Only students with wins from smaller competitions are eligible to enter. However, always make sure to root for them no matter who they are.

There are many different types of speeches and debates. For instance, there is a prose, which is when a person picks a published piece of writing in first person, whether it is dramatic or humorous interpretation. Then, the person recites the published piece from their own memory.  There is also poetry, when a poem is recited from memory. Another type of speech is storytelling which includes someone telling a story in an acting manner. Not to also mention original oratory, declamation, and informative speaking.

I had a personal interview with Mrs. Vandergrift and she said that a one reason why kids should join Speech and Debate is to build up confidence. Currently, kids are at the stage in their life when they feel insecure and shy about themselves. However, she believes that partaking in speech and debate will allow them to build up speaking confidence and will allow them to get to know fellow competitors and team members. Mrs. Vandergrift also says that speech and debate can help kids be better able to communicate with others, which would help them a lot when applying for their jobs.

Speech and debate is an amazing club to join. Even if you aren’t able to participate in Parks, try to participate in your future high school or even in your after school academy. It will help you gain confidence and well-speaking manners. It will also allow you to use your creative side of your brain, as well as using your logical side. Speech and Debate is always open for anyone willing to join and take it seriously.