Parks Panther Press

Importance of Bees

Back to Article
Back to Article

Importance of Bees

Hannah G., Contributor

Almost everyone knows what a bee is, the little black and yellow pests that can unexpectedly ruin your day. If that’s what people are thinking, then these people are correct. However, bees have a critical impact on the environment and the human population. Here are some reasons why everyone should stop taking these marvelous, important and hard working creatures for granted.

First of all, bees work very hard to pollinate nature. According to Sustainweb.org it states,“Globally, there are more honey bees than other types of bee and pollinating insects, so it is the world’s most important pollinator of food crops. It is estimated that one third of the food that we consume each day relies on pollination mainly by bees, but also by other insects, birds and bats.” The article goes on to state  “an estimation of about one third of the food that we consume each day relies on pollination mainly by bees.” Without bees pollinating crops, there would most likely be a shortage in vegetables, fruits, and all natural foods in general. This means that food prices would increase. When food prices increase, it makes it harder for some people to afford food.

According to the American Beekeeping Federation, honey bees contribute to roughly fifteen billion dollars to crop production alone.” It also states in GoldenBlossomHoney.com, “One bee colony can produce 60 to 100 pounds of honey per year.” There are many bee colonies in the world. As of now, bees produce honey which is used in many foods. Honey is mainly used in syrup, facial products, and remedies such as cough and syrup drops. A bees’ importance on producing honey has a large part in America’s economy.

Bees also benefit biodiversity. Biodiversity means the variety of life in the world or in a habitat or ecosystem. Biodiversity also points out the different aspects of a natural place. Since bees pollinate wild flowers, crops, and plants, they can drastically help plants grow and flourish. When these plants bloom or grow, they make the earth unique in it’s own kind of way.

These are just a few reasons why bees are important to the environment and everyone in it. So next time you think of swatting one of these amazing creatures, try thinking of this article.