• January 18This coming Saturday, January 26, is the Panther Palooza! Please see Mrs. Mundschau for more details!

• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

The Postive Effects of Listening to Music

Back to Article
Back to Article

Irene Sheen, Contributor

Music is a form of diverse art with many different elements and styles. The field of music is constantly expanding. It plays a big role in many people’s lives, yet there are so many who do not understand the positive effects of listening to music. Listening to the right music can benefit your mental health, physical health, learning ability, memory, and mood. Instead of taking music for granted, each and every person should appreciate music and its benefits. 

1.  Emotion/Mood

Music greatly affects people’s emotions and mood. According to Conscious Lifestyle, music stimulates emotion and helps someone to experience a certain feeling. Music can cause someone to feel happy and joyful. This is because it is an emotional understanding that controls part of the brain. It is stated from Health Line that music helps to regulate mood and is a great way to feel relief and comfort. It also helps to reduce stress and anxiety, and has a calming effect on a person. Someone may feel jubilant and cheerful when listening to music.

1. Memory

Studies have shown that listening to music may aid memory. According to Greater Good Magazine, when people are listening to music, dopamine release is evoked. Dopamine release has a connection with memory, and helps people to improve their memory. Especially for those with memory loss, listening to music is very beneficial. Research has shown that music greatly enhances memory.

1. Learning Skills

Listening to music may improve learning skills and productivity. It is stated from Florida National University that listening to music while studying helps the brain to categorize information effectively. This will improve studying and learning skills. Not to mention, listening to music improves creative and innovative thinking. Music also engages with the part of the brain that is involved with concentration. This shows that when listening to music while studying, the brain will be able to pay better attention to the information.

4. Physical Health

Studies have shown that those who are in pain may ease their pain by listening to music. If patients are recovering from a surgery and they listen to music, they will be able to recover better and faster. Music is likely to soothe pain and helps people to feel more relaxed. When in pain and listening to music, the pain factors may not be as high as when they are not listening to music. Music heals people physically and actually improves their health greatly.

Music has so many beneficial factors to one’s physical and mental health. Music is not just simply a form of entertainment, but it also has many positive effects. It plays a big part in many people’s lives. From healing pain to improving memory, music can do a lot to a person. No longer should people look at music as if it is unimportant, but instead as something that impacts the society greatly.