• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Hannah G., Contributor

Boba is a chewy and glossy tapioca ball invented in Tainan and Taichung. Milk tea is a drink usually paired with boba which originates from Taiwan. As years go by, boba with milk tea (bubble or pearl tea) has become a popular and loved beverage by almost all kids, teens, and adults. But pearl tea might actually cause people’s bodies negative effects instead of positive. 

According to spoonuniversity.com, “The boba (aka the tiny, chewy black balls at the bottom of the drink) is made from tapioca, which is a gluten-free starch extracted from the root of a cassava plant.” The tapioca is what makes the boba glossy. According to thedailymeal.com, “…boba — are as bad for your health as actual candy. Boiled and then saturated with sugar, those fun little balls can each add five to 14 calories to your drink, which means that just 1/4 cup of them can add over 100 extra calories to your already calorically-dense drink. Not only do boba add extra calories, they don’t actually contribute anything in the way of nutrition. Boba are basically all carbs — they lack any minerals or vitamins and contain no fiber.” After reading this, boba may not seem like the healthiest snack.

In addition, healthxchange.cg states, “Drinking unsweetened black or green tea daily has health benefits, but drinking pearl milk tea regularly may not be a healthy choice if you are watching your weight or controlling your calorie and sugar intakes,” Black or green tea has many health benefits, including the reduction of heart attack or stroke, bone protection, and weight loss. Drinking tea at least once a day may benefit your health but drinking tea too often may cause liver problems.

In conclusion, bubble tea is an amazing beverage that is good for your body every once in awhile. So enjoy any of your favorite foods or beverages, but always keep in mind that not all foods are good for our health.

Hannah G., Contributor

Hannah is currently a seventh grader at Parks Jr. High. She enjoys writing, water coloring, and volleyball. She is very happy to be a part of the Parks...

1 Comment

One Response to “Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?”

1. Mrs. Koeul Pary on October 25th, 2018 8:43 am

This was a great article! Keep up the good work. I learned something new. Thank you!

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Opinion

Should People Be Allowed to Dress Up As Whatever They Want For Halloween?

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Opinion

3 Interesting Facts About the Human Brain

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Opinion

The Benefits of Pumpkins

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Features

Disadvantages of using Plastic

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Features

Importance of Bees

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Opinion

Is Social Media a Good Idea for Teens?

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

“The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up”

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Day Six: Holiday Songs

• Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?

Top Christmas Gifts

• Opinion

Kawhi Leonard the “Silent Assassin” back story

Is Bubble Tea Bad For You?