• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

Self Esteem

Back to Article
Back to Article

Self Esteem

Nicholas Kim, Contributor

Many have probably looked into a mirror and thought about all their flaws. Chances are that they lack self esteem. The definition of self esteem is the satisfaction and confidence in oneself, and it is also called self respect. It is very important for one to have or gain self esteem, especially during the teenage ages when the brain is still developing.

There are many reasons why people have low self esteem. One reason why is because they are always comparing themselves to others, whether it’s a celebrity or a fellow peer. When one compares themself to another, they tend to find the best of things of the other person, but would only pick out the flaws that they know they have. However, most people don’t realize that the person they are comparing themselves to also have the same amount of flaws as them. Let’s say there is a kid in the class that always gets top marks and is favored by the teachers and students. Chances are, kids with low self esteem would wish to be like them. This may not seem unhealthy at first, but when they continue to behave like this, many problems arise.

Another reason why people can have low self esteem is their body appearance. Have you ever looked at a supermodel’s body and wished that you could look like them? Have you ever saw a soccer player and wished that you could become fit like them? It may seem normal to have thoughts like this, but when it’s taken to an extreme level, lack of self confidence builds up.

According to the American Psychological Association, “People who base their own self-worth on what others think and not on their value as human beings might pay a mental and physical price, according to research by Jennifer Crocker, PhD, a psychologist at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research.” This means that people who rank themselves based on their flaws are most likely to physically and mentally lose themself in faith, confidence, and self worth. It also mentions that college students who have low self esteem tend to be less motivated to study or perform well, academically. This proves the devastating effects of a lack of self esteem.

Fortunately, not all is lost. There are multiple ways to boost up your self confidence, as well as your self worth. Try to compliment yourself everyday, whether it’s small or big. Congratulate yourself for accomplishments and achievements. Everyday is worth celebrating for. Learn to embrace yourself and who you are because there is no other person like you. Doing this will not gain only self confidence, but will also help you realize that you matter.

Nicholas Kim, Contributor

Nicholas Kim is an eighth grader currently attending D. Russel Parks Junior High School. He likes to draw, read, and swim in his spare time. He also enjoys...