• October 11The school fall dance theme has been announced, A Night at New York!

• October 10A category 4 storm, Hurricane Michael, makes landfall in Florida.

• October 4Parks Dance on October 26

The Origin of Halloween

Nicholas Kim, Contributor

Halloween is the time of the year to get candies from door to door, dress up in spooky costumes, and visit haunted houses. Halloween is a popular holiday, especially among younger people and is celebrated throughout the world. However, do people know when and where Halloween first started?

Historians believed that Halloween first started about 2,000 years ago among the Celts. According to history.com, “the Celts believed that the deceased returned every year during Samhain, the end of the harvest season and the mark of winter or the “darker half” of the year. During these times, the Celts were known to start bonfires and perform sacrifices for the deceased.”

The Celts also started the tradition of dressing up in costumes much like people do today. During Samhain, villagers would dress up in costumes made of animal skin to scare away the spirits. Centuries later, people would dress up as ghosts, demons, or goblins, in exchange for foods and drinks, similar to trick-or-treating. The Celts also were famously known for leaving out crops from their harvest season. Crops would vary from pumpkin to squash. It was believed that phantoms would appear in front of everyone’s doors and would take their peace offerings. However, if one would forget to leave out a peace offering, great misfortune would rise upon them.

Even though Halloween is a widely known holiday, many countries prefer to celebrate their own. For example, Mexico and other Hispanic countries are known to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, or the “Day of the Dead.” It is celebrated on the beginning of November and people would visit their family’s graves and altars to honor their ancestors and give offerings to them. Offerings would range from food to family gifts. This is a time of reconnection and play an important role in the Mexican and Hispanic culture.

Japan, similar to Mexico also celebrates a different holiday known as the Obon Festival. The Obon Festival is an annual event when people honor their family members by lighting red lanterns and releasing them into oceans and rivers. People would also light fires for their family members who have passed away. The Obon Festival starts on August 13, and ends on August 15. Even though it is not around the same time as Halloween, they are still often compared to each other because of their purpose being about celebrating the dead.

Halloween was and still is an amazing holiday, not to mention a very fun one, as well. Kids can collect goodies in creepy costumes, visit amusement parks, such as Knot’s Scary Farm, for scary surprises, and much more. Halloween is undoubtedly only going to get more popular, and it is all thanks to the Celts and their customs.