• October 11The school fall dance theme has been announced, A Night at New York!

• October 10A category 4 storm, Hurricane Michael, makes landfall in Florida.

• October 4Parks Dance on October 26

The Truth About Hypnosis

Angelo A., Contributor

Hypnosis first got the attention of scientists and the public when Franz Mesmer discovered that he could put people into a dreamlike state where they would obey the hypnotizer’s suggestions. He called it animal magnetism, but later he called it mesmerism after himself. According to the Hypnosis Motivation Institute, when hypnosis was first introduced by Mesmer in 1774, there were debates about whether it works or not. Over the years, most people’s first impression on hypnotism was not true. Despite many scientists working on the therapy and countless studies proving it works, most people don’t take hypnosis very seriously. And because people do not care about hypnosis, not many people know the truth about hypnosis.

When people think of hypnosis, they tend to think of a magician snapping his fingers, and after he does so, the participant suddenly does whatever the magician tells them to. This notion of hypnosis is not true, as one cannot make someone do something or even hypnotize someone against their will. In order to be hypnotized, the participant needs to want to be hypnotized or else it will not work. Hypnosis is actually one of the oldest forms of psychotherapy, dating all the way back to 1889. Even though this form of therapy has been used for centuries, most people believe it is a myth and that it does not work in any way. According to the American Psychological Society, “this therapeutic technique can can be very effective for a wide range of problems, like mood disorders and pain. It can also help people get rid of bad habits, like smoking, and help people struggling with obesity to eat less or eat healthier.”

Though public criticism surrounding hypnosis has clouded people’s judgement on the practice, significant scientific evidence shows that hypnosis therapy works and is very effective. Over a century of learning about this therapeutic technique has allowed us to understand how it works and how to improve it. So, the truth about hypnosis is that it is very effective and according to the American Psychological Society, it helps people get through the difficult times in their lives. Even though this type of therapy is the most controversial, it is also one of the most effective.