• October 11The school fall dance theme has been announced, A Night at New York!

• October 10A category 4 storm, Hurricane Michael, makes landfall in Florida.

• October 4Parks Dance on October 26

Tips on How To Improve Your Concentration

Harrison Hong, Contributor

Focus is a really important aspect of a middle school student’s life. According the fastcompany.com, the average human attention span is about eight seconds, which is less than that of a goldfish. In order to keep this attention span for even longer, here are a few useful tips used and told by psychology today. Through the use of these tips, your concentration can be improved drastically.

1. Pay attention: This may seem absurd, but the best way is to pay attention to what is on the board or on the screen. It is crucial in order to pay attention, to get enough food and sleep and to avoid distractions such as background radio and television.
  2. Try to involve as many senses as possible: For example, writing down the lecture, which is movement, is good for concentration. And then hearing yourself read the notes aloud can be a way of active concentration.
  3. Relating and making connections to what you already know: New information is easier to remember if you can relate that to something you have experienced before. So for example, if you were listening to a lecture on depression and psychology, then you can relate back to a time when you were very sad and depressed.
  4. Using mnemonics: Mnemonics is a way of memorizing and ordering information in a way that is weird, but you can relate to. For example, if you are asked to memorize a series of words like “Duke, Richard, Versailles, Rose, and Sharon,” then you can reorder them into a sentence like, “The Duke of Versailles, Richard, gave a rose to Sharon.” The funkier it is, the easier it is to memorize.
  5. Develop a healthy lifestyle: This is vital when trying to improve your concentration. Getting enough sleep and eating correctly are great ways to improve your brain. Taking regular exercises is also important. Eating lots of veggies, and avoiding smoking are great ways to keep a healthy brain. Sleeping at least 7-10 hours a day is also a great way to improve the brain.

By using all of these useful tactics, your concentration should be greatly improved. An improved concentration span is one of the most important things for a junior high student. With lots of different assignments and multiple classes, concentration is crucial to everyday life.