• January 18This coming Saturday, January 26, is the Panther Palooza! Please see Mrs. Mundschau for more details!

• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

The Benefits of Pumpkins

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Benefits of Pumpkins

Hannah G., Contributor

It’s currently Autumn, which means the season of cranberries, pomegranates, and especially pumpkins! Pumpkins can be used for many things including Halloween decorations, delicious drinks, and for people’s health. Pumpkins can benefit people’s health in many ways. Here are some of the main benefits of eating pumpkins.

First of all, pumpkin seeds contain many antioxidants. According to nuetrex-Hawaii.com  “There are three primary types of antioxidants found in nature. These include phytochemicals, vitamins, and enzymes. Pumpkins, according to swansonvitamins.com, “ are one of nature’s riches sources of alpha-carotene, a carotenoid that converts to retinol, a form of vitamin A.” According to verywellfit.com “Consuming foods rich with antioxidants can help decrease the risk of cancer,infections, and many other illnesses.” When your body consumes antioxidants, the antioxidants can help heal and strengthen your body. Antioxidants can also help clear your skin. Pumpkin seeds are a great source of antioxidants.

Eating pumpkins can help/boost your vision. According to dailyburn.com “A cup of cubed pumpkin contains almost twice the recommended daily intake of vitamin A”. Vitamin A is good for your eyes, and according to livescience.com “Vitamin A has many varied functions. Retinol not only creates the pigments in the retina of the eye, according to NLM, but also is integral for good vision, especially night vision, and overall eye health.” Good vision is important for school, work, and many other things. The orange coloring of the pumpkin is formed from vitamin A. An example of other fruits/vegetables that contain a lot of vitamin A are carrots. Both carrots and pumpkins are orange.

Lastly, eating pumpkins help strengthen your immune system. According to WebMB.com “Try pumpkin. The large shot of vitamin A the fruit provides helps your body fight infections, viruses and infectious diseases. Pumpkin oil even helps fight various bacterial and fungal infections. Plus, pumpkin is packed with nearly 20 percent of the recommended amount of daily vitamin C, which may help you recover from colds faster.” Pumpkins contain large amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C. This is good for people who have a weak immune system or are people who have a cold. According to healthline.com “Studies show that consuming more vitamin C can increase your blood antioxidant levels by up to 30%. This helps the body’s natural defenses fight inflammation”. Inflammation is when your body becomes sore or painful due to an injury or illness.

These are a few reasons why pumpkins can benefit people’s bodies. In conclusion pumpkins contain many healthy vitamins, improve people’s immune system, contain many antioxidants, help clear your skin, and help improve your vision.