Parks Panther Press

Does Homework Really Help?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Does Homework Really Help?

Savana V., Contributor

Homework is something that many still consider controversial. Does it take away one’s valuable time with family? Or does the assignment even help one understand what they are learning in school? Well, in some researched conclusions, there may finally be an answer to this controversial question.

Parents themselves have questioned the idea of homework. Some parents say that they worry for their kids having no homework, thinking that they will not succeed in school. Other parents are worried that their kids won’t have enough time to spend on valuable things. For example, being able to get enough sleep at night, a topic in which many students have trouble trying to maintain.

According to TIME´s article called, “Is Homework Good for Kids?” The author questions the importance of homework. He states, “The no-homework policy of a second-grade teacher in Texas went viral last week, earning praise from parents across the country who lament the heavy workload often assigned to young students. Brandy Young told parents she would not formally assign any homework this year, asking students instead to eat dinner with their families, play outside and go to bed early.”

The idea of homework is an extremely popular debate that has been around for a very long time. One side agrees with the usage of homework. The people who believe in the idea of homework think that homework is something that gives the students a better learning experience during their time in class. They also believe that homework is good for parents to know what their kids are working on in school, as well as what they could do to help their child to succeed in their academics.

However, there is always going to be two ends of the spectrum in situations like this. So in this scenario, some agree with the fact that students should not have homework because it requires takeing away bonding time students should have with their families. Not only that, but homework tends to take away sleeping time from those who are still growing. Additionally, homework tends to give kids stress and anxiety because they might not understand a question and spend a ridiculous amount of time on a simple problem. Both sides are totally opposite opinions, yet they still have good evidence to backup their claims. The remaining question is: which side do you choose?

Source:http://time.com/4466390/homework-debate-research/