• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

3 Interesting Facts About the Human Brain

Alyson J., Editor

The human brain is one of the most unexplored parts of the human body, and one of the most neglected parts as well. There is so much more to study about the brain and the wonders it brings to our daily lives. However, for now, here are three interesting facts about the human brain that many people do not know of— or just disregard.

1. Your brain produces better work when you’re tired.

Have you ever noticed that you seem to be more productive and creative when you procrastinate? Especially when it is late at night, your brain is fuzzy, and the assignment is due the day after? Not that it is a good habit, but your hypothesis is probably correct. Even though the fact that your brain is fuzzed out contradicts this point, it is actually the opposite. Late at night, your brain doesn’t filter out distractions, and has a hard time connecting two concepts together. Consequently, your brain becomes more creative due to the increase of connecting the dots and thinking in a different way.

2. We tend to like people who make mistakes more often.

According to the Pratfall effect, people who make mistakes are more likable than those who don’t. Making mistakes helps people seem more human, which makes them more relatable to another person. People who tend to be “utterly perfect” seem as though they have higher standards than “regular human beings,” therefore creating a situation in which it seems almost impossible to create a friendship. According to neuronation.com, “perfection creates distance and an unattractive air of invincibility,” which tends to repel interaction between two people, making a relationship impossible to obtain.

3. Naps improve your brain’s functionality throughout the day.

Taking a nap for even five minutes drastically improves our daily routine. Sleeping pushes memories in the short term memory into the long term. In a study by neuronation.com, participants were to memorize a set of cards and later, had a 40 minute break where one group took a nap and one stayed awake. The group that napped remembered 85% of the patterns and in contrast, the group that had stayed awake received an average accuracy of 60%. So, if one wishes to retain and trap information, napping is a great way to execute their goal.

In conclusion, the brain is a wonderful aspect of the human body that retains many interesting facts waiting to be unlocked. The first step towards unlocking those facts is to accept our brains as an amazing physical—and mental—feature of our human anatomy.