• January 18This coming Saturday, January 26, is the Panther Palooza! Please see Mrs. Mundschau for more details!

• December 7Quote of the Day: “Don’t worry about failures. Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” - Jack Canfield

Start with Hello

Back to Article
Back to Article

Start with Hello

Irene Sheen, Contributer

Last week at Parks, staff members and the leadership team campaigned the quote, “Start with Hello.” The meaning of this quote is that starting with a simple hello can make an impact on someone’s life, and can lead to great friendship. The definite goal of the campaign was to get students to understand the importance of friendship, and the impact it makes on someone. It was basically to promote the idea of kindness, and how Parks can become a better community when everyone does their part in being kind to one another.

Saying, “hello,” to a stranger passing by the hallways takes a lot of courage. Therefore, students rarely ever take 3 seconds of their time to say hi to another student. But what many people do not know is that saying a simple hi can mean the world to someone. There are probably many students at every school that is lonely and in need of friends. Instead of just passing by, someone can take the courage to say hi or invite them over to have lunch together. These simple gestures show a great load of respect and kindness.

Numerous studies have shown that having good friends lead to mental, social, and physical well-being. According to everydayhealth.com, those with a good group of friends are more likely to be happy, and are better able to cope with their everyday problems, than those who are lonely. On the other hand, according to verywellmind.com, loneliness and isolation has many negative effects on one’s physical and mental health. Loneliness may lead to depression, suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, altered brain function, increased stress levels, strokes, and decrease in memory. Loneliness and the lack of social ability may evidently lead to severe illnesses.

The reason behind this meaningful quote is to get more students to help one another, and to encourage students to value friendship. There are so many positive benefits of having good, trustworthy friends. However, people do not know how stressful and depressing isolation really is, and how many negative effects it has on a person. But saying a simple word, such as, “hello,” may end up turning Parks Junior High into a safer, healthier, and better environment.