• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

Nathan MacKinnon’s Hot Streak

Joey W., Editor

The NHL season has finally started back again, after the nail-biting Stanley Cup Finals back in June of 2018. After the Washington Capitals major comeback, things have been very uneventful in the hockey world. Well, that is until now.
The Colorado Avalanche have never been a Stanley Cup competitor, rarely making it into the playoffs and not coming close to winning the Stanley Cup. Back in 2013, they had managed to grasp a first overall pick. After careful consideration between Nathan MacKinnon and Alexander Barkov, they had decided to use their first overall pick on Nathan MacKinnon.
At first, it seemed as if the Florida Panthers had gotten the upper hand of the trade. Alexander Barkov had a hot season, finishing in the top 20 with points. This trait followed Barkov for the next few years, but however, Nathan MacKinnon then started to take flight. Slowly making his way up, Nathan MacKinnon is currently the first overall in assists, plus and minus, and points for the 2018-2019 season. In addition, this has been the Colorado Avalanche’s best season. With the additions of Gabriel Landeskog and Tyson Barrie, this team has a real shot of competing in the Stanley Cup finals.
Currently, the Avalanche are third in the Central Division, with eight wins and sixteen points. Nathan MacKinnon has nine goals and nine assists, for a season total of eighteen points in only twelve games played. If he continues to keep these stats, he will break an NHL record, propelling himself into the highly dreamed record books.
There have been many ups and downs in Nathan MacKinnon’s professional hockey career. Regardless, this NHL superstar has yet to hit his peak. All in all, Nathan MacKinnon will forever be known as the best playmaker to ever play for the Colorado Avalanche.