• November 5The speech and debate team will be going to a competition on both Friday and Saturday.

• September 10Don’t miss out on the Scholastic Book Fair next week, Wednesday through Friday!

• August 28The Leadership Lunchtime Events are rolling around the corner. Make sure to sign up at the theatron!

Showing Gratitude

Maddie G., Contributer

Right after Halloween, the holiday season begins!  Thanksgiving and Christmas are wonderful holidays to spend time with family and friends.  It is also a great time to show gratitude towards someone, and  this does not have to be just limited to the holiday season.  In other words, showing someone gratefulness can happen year round.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, gratitude is defined as “the state of being grateful; thankfulness.” It is important to realize that gratitude can alter one’s perception and change a life for the better, because it is believed that life without gratitude can lead to unhappiness and a feeling of unfulfillment.  Showing appreciation in daily life is a big step that can often change a person’s mindset. Putting other people’s needs first and being less selfish is a great way to start this mental process.

There are several ways in which people can demonstrate gratitude.  For starters, taking the time to write a handwritten note can be perceived by the recipient as both meaningful and genuine.  This is a lost art that will especially be appreciated by older generations. Although indirect, another way to promote gratitude is to pay it forward.  For example, when somebody opens the door for someone else, they can show their appreciation by opening the door for the person behind them. This particular form can be highly contagious!  Lastly, committing oneself to a habit of volunteering at a local youth center is a wonderful way to showcase this simple but powerful human virtue.

Overall, showing gratitude is an act of kindness that can be appreciated by people of all ages.  Although it may appear to be simple, its impact can positively benefit the culture of a society.  Therefore, one can argue that gratitude is a necessity and a fundamental to the well-being of the United States.