• January 30“Try not to be a person of success, but rather try to be a person of value.” -Gordie Howe

• January 30Valentines Day is just around the corner! Make sure to buy your Valentines Grams for that special someone!

Speech and Debate Competition: Public Forum (Debate)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Irene Sheen, Contributer

On November 9 and 10, the Parks speech and debate team took part in Santa Ana’s Speech and Debate competition. They killed the game, coming in second place overall as a school, and Parks had many students that received trophies and awards. In particular, Park’s debate team had an outstanding performance that got both of the Park’s debate groups into the finals. Information was gathered from a short interview from the debate team, explaining their experiences, process, and achievements.

For the debate team, both Friday and Saturday were exciting, yet long days. When asked about the most difficult part of taking place in this competition, Chan Chung stated, “Being there for such a long time was difficult.” The debate team spent almost eighteen hours in total at Century High School in Santa Ana, so it was no surprise that the two days at the high school were strenuous. Although the two days were long and tiring for the debate team, they still had a great and a memorable experience. One duo came in first place out of all the JV Public Forum competitors, and another duo came in second place. But this could not have been done without the debate team’s long hours of practice, work, and preparation.

For several months, Park’s debate team worked exhausting hours preparing themselves for the Santa Ana Speech and Debate Competition. One of the Debate team members, Edward Bleker, stated, “In order to be ready for the competition, we had to do immense preparation to form our cases, and long hours of practice.” Edward Bleker also provided information on how a debate works and he stated, “A debate requires a team to prepare con and pro cases to a topic depending on whichever side a team is fighting for. The first speakers give constructive speeches presenting the case, then questions are asked in a crossfire, and lastly a rebuttal speech, which then leads to the second speakers’ rebuttal speech. A summary speech is given followed by a grand crossfire, and lastly a final focus which concludes the debate.” So, there is no doubt that the Debate team worked hard, and that paid off which lead to their victory.

The debate duo of Chan Chung and Jiwoo Han came in 1st place and the other duo of Edward Bleker and William Summerhill came in 2nd place. Both teams were pleased when they found out that they had made it to the finals, and the winning team was glad to have won in the JV Public Forum competition. For both teams, the most pleasing factor of this competition was winning. When Chan Chung was asked on how he felt about winning first place with Jiwoo Han, he responded, ”I was proud when I won first place.” Edward Bleker also stated, “After all the hard work that we put into this, the best part was winning.” Park’s debate team did an amazing job at the competition and everyone is looking forward to continuing debate.

Park’s debate team worked very hard to do well at the Santa Ana competition, and in the end, they were successful. They had a great experience, with many steps in their process of winning. And last but not least, their achievements were great. Their hard work paid off in every possible way, and they did an amazing job in making Parks proud. Congratulations to Park’s Debate team!