Parks Panther Press

Greenland Ice Melting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greenland Ice Melting

Image from GoodFreePhoto.com

Image from GoodFreePhoto.com

Image from GoodFreePhoto.com

Image from GoodFreePhoto.com

Wesley L., Beomjun Kim, and Yash T.

Years of air pollution has caused global warming which has caused disastrous effects on our planet. Rising temperature have caused the Greenland ice sheet to deteriorate at a faster rate than ever. Because Greenland’s ice sheets are melting four times faster then they were in 2003, the melting ice sheet has become a major contributor to sea level rises and losses of freshwater.

As a lot of scientist predict, the Greenland ice melting is causing many things. One of the results of the ice melting is the sea level rising. Some scientist say the ice is melting four times faster which causes the sea level to rise. According to climate.nasa.gov, the sea level can rise for two reasons, both linked to a warming planet. When ice on land, such as mountain glaciers or the ice sheets of Greenland or Antarctica, melt, that water created contributes to the rising of the average sea level. When our oceans get warmer – another indicator of climate change – the water expands. Using satellites, lasers, radars in space, and dedicated researchers on the ground, NASA is studying the Earth’s ice and water to better understand how sea level rise may affect us all.

99% of freshwater on Earth is located in the ice caps. The water will mix with the salt water, ocean water, which will make the water undrinkable. If they were to melt we would lose majority of our water. Due to overpopulation, we already have limited resources. Losing this source of water would make it even worse.

Global warming has played a major role in melting the Greenland ice sheet. To slow this process, people have switched to using gas-free items. For example, people are switching to electric cars to reduce gas emission. Some people are also planting trees, which could absorb carbon and produce oxygen. Another method to prevent carbon emission is eating food grown locally. Transportation of items is a major contributor to greenhouse gases. Landfills are the third largest methane and carbon producers. Reducing, reusing, and recycling all help minimize the waste transported to landfills everyday.

If temperatures continue to rise, greenland’s glaciers will continue to melt, and we will soon lose a great portion of freshwater. The sea level will drastically rise and coastal cities will become submerged.

About the Writers
Wesley L., Writer

Wesley is currently an eighth grader here at Parks Jr. High. He enjoys playing video games and learning about science facts. His favorite sport to both...

Beomjun Kim, Science & Tech Writer

Beomjun Kim is an eighth grader that attends Parks Junior High school and is a writer of the Parks Pantherpress. He is also known as Benjamin. He is the...

Yash T., Science and Technology Editor

Yash Thaker is an 8th grader who likes cosmology, astronomy, and engineering. In his feee time he plays video games, basketball, and watches television....