• January 30“Try not to be a person of success, but rather try to be a person of value.” -Gordie Howe

• January 30Valentines Day is just around the corner! Make sure to buy your Valentines Grams for that special someone!

Should Book Banning be Allowed?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Book Banning be Allowed?

Many books have been banned from libraries both in schools and in our community. This picture represents burning books. Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Many times in history, rulers of powerful nations have often burned books as a method of brainwashing his/her subjects, leaving them uneducated therefore uncappable of knowing better than to follow the words of their leader. China Now, in 2019, this practice is still going on but at a smaller scale. Instead of burning books, many adults and parents have agreed to keep a number of books from ever reaching the shelves of a local libary or a school. This is what is called book banning. According to ProCon.org, the American Libary Association, also known as the ALA have been  able to find book challenges, which are basically attempts to remove or restrict certain books from schools and libraries since 1990. Last year, the ALA had recorded 354 books in the US that were reported for its content.

Many people argued that banning books is unacceptable, arguing that it upsets both the author of the book and the audience that the book was intended for. Some even say that restricting books would bring more attention to it, therefore having the opposite effect. Many books that were supposedly “banned” have popped up numerous times in many cases and are passed around more than it would have been if it was not banned. In fact, during September 23-29, 2018, a “Banned Book Week” took place. In this event, journalists, authors, editors, booksellers, teachers, and readers of all sorts come together in support for the freedom to seek and express any thoughts.

Many books are reported for its content but I believe that taking down someone else’s work just because it offends you would not be fair to the person who has spent his/her time producing it. Book banning can be seen as an act of selfishness, as you are taking down someone else’s work because it does not “fit” to your standards. Instead, many others choose to engage with the book and argue against the ideals and contents of the book. The US has also banned books over time, some being Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe, and Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. Luckily, some of these books have been unbanned in the US and are now in book stores and libraries everywhere. German-Jewish poet Heinrich Heine quoted “Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen” which translates into “Where they burn books, they will also ultimately burn people.”