Parks Panther Press

• May 14The end of the school year is upon us! Obtain your tickets to the Promotion Dance, as it’s the last chance to see your friends!

• April 24Quote of the Day: “If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs some more of that."

Should Book Banning Be Allowed?

David K., Opinions/Polls Editor

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Book Banning Be Allowed?

Many books have been banned from libraries both in schools and in our community. This picture represents burning books. Photo courtesy of flickr.com

David K.

Historical leaders of powerful empires in history have often burned books in large scales. This action led to the nation’s citizens to become dumb and blind, unable to do anything but listen to what the emperor says. This has been a way to brainwash people, for they knew nothing of their surrroundings and were barely educated. Now, in 2019, this practice is still going on but on a smaller scale. Instead of burning books, many adults and parents have agreed to keep a number of books from ever reaching the shelves of a local libary or a school. This is what is called book banning. According to ProCon.org, the American Libary Association, also known as the ALA have been able to find book challenges, which are basically attempts to remove or restrict certain books from schools and libraries since 1990. Last year, the ALA had recorded 354 books in the US that were reported for its content.

Many people argued that banning books is unacceptable, arguing that it upsets both the author of the book and the audience that the book was intended for. Some even say that restricting books would bring more attention to it, therefore having the opposite effect. Many books that were supposedly “banned” have popped up numerous times in many cases and are passed around more than it would have been if it was not banned. In fact, during September 23-29, 2018, a “Banned Book Week” took place. In this event, journalists, authors, editors, booksellers, teachers, and readers of all sorts come together in support for the freedom to seek and express any thoughts.

Many books are reported for its content but I believe that taking down someone else’s work just because it offends you would not be fair to the person who has spent his/her time producing it. Instead, many others choose to engage with the book and argue against the ideals and contents of the book. The US has also banned books over time, some being Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe, and Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. Luckily, some of these books have been unbanned in the US and are now in book stores and libraries everywhere.

About the Writer
David K., Writer

David Kim is a 7th grader currently attending Parks. In his free time he likes to read, play games, and hang out with his friends. His favorite game to...