The Benefits of Exercise

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Benefits of Exercise

Kristina Cho, Feature/Student Life Writer

Today, many Americans enjoy sitting on the couch all day watching TV and eating junk food. These set of actions have resulted in many Americans gaining body fat, which has lead to a sharp increase in weight gain. According to the National Institutes of Health, “About 1 in 6 children and adolescents [between] ages 2 to 19 were considered to have obesity.” However, exercise can play a big part of reducing obesity rates in America. Not only can it transform people’s physical health, but it can also help people maintain a healthy mental state.

1. Mood

Exercising can turn any frown upside down. According to 8bit.com, “Hormones such as endorphins, serotonin, dopamine, and testosterone are also released in response to increased physical activity.” These are all substances that result in happiness. Exercising can also be an escape from school or other work that may be stressing someone out, therefore, improving a person’s mood. Instead of spending hours worrying about math problems or writing essays, one’s time and energy could be spent running or doing push-ups.

1. Muscle and Bone Strength

Although it is common knowledge that working out strengthens bones and muscles, people should be aware of the other benefits that exercising has. Exercising reduces the probability of injuries and disabilities in the future. Working out can increase bone density, which decreases the risk of having brittle bones. From healthline.com, the author, Arlene Semeco states, “…exercise helps release and breakdown hormones that promote the ability of your muscles to absorb amino acids.” Amino acids benefit the immune system as well as repair muscles and support their growth, instead of wearing them down. 

1. Memory and Brain

Forgot to do last night’s homework? Forgot where the keys are? Well, exercising on a regular basis can actually improve memory along with benefiting the brain. According to heathline.com, “Exercise has been shown to cause the hippocampus, a part of the brain that’s vital for memory and learning, to grow in size.” Since exercising reduces the risk of health conditions, such as diabetes or heart diseases, the brain is overall healthier and can function much more efficiently.

1. Falling Asleep

The feeling of not being able to fall asleep can be highly aggravating. Exercise can actually improve the ability to fall asleep faster because exercise is very tiring. In “The Top 10 Benefits of Exercise” on healthline.com, the author informs that exercise “can provide up to a 65% improvement in sleep quality.” Furthermore, sleep restores energy used during exercising. 

Although working out may seem time consuming, small exercises such as a stroll in the park or a small jog can go a long way. Even if they are short and simple, they still have the ability to reward a person with many physical health benefits as well as advantages regarding mental health.