Why is P.E. Beneficial?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why is P.E. Beneficial?

Jamie C., Opinion/Polls Editor

P.E or physical education is a commonly favored class by students. Parks Junior High is fortunate enough to have this class along with good equipment and a variety of different activities to compete in all throughout the school year. It offers students a daily source of exercise which in Parks Junior High’s case meets the standards of how long students should exercise. Although, some students are involved with an after school sport or activity that they do, many are not because of various reasons. This means P.E is the only source of exercise they get.

It has been proven that P.E improves physical fitness, motor skills development, provides regular, healthy physical activity, teaches self discipline, facilitates development of student responsibility for health and fitness, influences moral development, leadership, cooperation with others and reduces stress. Physical education also helps change a person in school. They may need the time to relax and get fresh air. In addition to these influences, physical education strengthens peer relationships, self-confidence, self-esteem, and helps person respect the people around them. In addition, P.E. helps the student respect their body, classmates and teammates, and gives an experience in setting goals because they are involved in team sports and playing games with their friends.

Not only does physical education improve mental health, it also improves physical health. It improves one’s cardiorespiratory fitness, builds strong bones and muscles, controls weight, reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression, and also reduces the risk of developing health conditions. There are various, serious health conditions that can result without exercising. Life-threatening cardiovascular diseases, including hyperlipidemia which causes high cholesterol and triglyceride levels, high blood pressure, obesity, insulin resistance and glucose intolerance are only some of the results of not exercising.

However, many students also dread P.E. The thought of having to run a lap and be picked on a team may be horrifying for some. Others may not be as athletic or do as well on timed runs resulting in P.E being their weakest class. Although it may not be their favorite or most successful class, they are still getting exercise and eventually will improve gradually and their health will be impacted for the better. P.E is an essential class for the students at school for various reasons.