Parks Panther Press

• May 14The end of the school year is upon us! Obtain your tickets to the Promotion Dance, as it’s the last chance to see your friends!

• April 24Quote of the Day: “If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs some more of that."

Reasons Why Art Proves to be the Best Elective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Joey W., Sports Editor

Out of the many impressive and educational electives students partake in here at Parks, one standout that comes to mind would be Mr. Beaver’s art classes. Ranging over the course of three skill levels, these art classes teach students responsibility, creativeness, social skills, and much more. If the students enjoy and participate in their current art class, they will be promoted to the higher class in the next semester. Mr. Beaver does an exceptional job teaching many art skills, techniques, and even encourages students to step out of their comfort zone. Due to the many techniques and fun projects that reside in Mr. Beaver’s class, attending the Parks’ art elective would certainly be of the top on my bucket list.

Art I is where younger, inexperienced artists first take flight. Learning many basic techniques and skills can be extremely enjoyable and relaxing. With the amount of trust Mr. Beaver implements into his students, they get a lot of time to sit back and work on a piece of their choice. Now, sometimes Mr. Beaver will assign you a piece to complete by a specific deadline. Coming from his Art III class, I can assure you that it will be much fun along your journey. Another great thing about his class is he grades on participation and listening skills. No matter your skill level, you can easily maintain an A or a B this class as long as you follow his simple rules and deadlines. As Art I teaches many skills in order to develop your creativity and self confidence, it is definitely something that I would recommend to any inspired young artists out there.

Art II provides you with a bit more freedom and access to supplies you couldn’t use in Art I. In Art II, Mr. Beaver grades based on your weekly participation, sketchbook checks, and digital portfolio checks. Artsonia, one of the many apps Mr. Beaver uses to keep in touch with his class, comes with a handful of positives. Firstly, this app allows you to submit any personal work or sketchbook work that you are proud to show him. Secondly, you can submit your artistic pieces through the app, and use many tools to edit your piece once it’s finished. All in all, Artsonia has consistently proven to be an extraordinary app, and fits the title of the best art class in the Fullerton School District perfectly.

Art III can be tough for many students. A lot of work gets thrown on your plate and the grading scale changes. Mr. Beaver has high hopes for his experienced Art III students, so he assigned many universal projects such as “Doodle 4 Google” and the famously known “Peace Poster.” With few exceptions, his art class is still a blast and really helps you improve your art. From his personal opinions to many artistic companies that have the opportunity to judge your art, making artistic pieces in this class can be a good challenge to test your true abilities. Art III also has the opportunity to participate in school-wide art events as well as go on a field trip to draw some of the beautiful surroundings. In addition, students can also attend tutorial incase they are limited on time for a piece that they would like to finish. With the many opportunities and mass exposure the Art III students get here at Parks, it has proven that it is one of the best art classes in the state of California.

About the Writer
Joey W., Sports Editor

Joey Winthrop is currently an 8th grader attending Parks Jr. High. Outside of his academic career, he is an exceptional hockey player and plays AAA travel...