Parks Panther Press

• May 14The end of the school year is upon us! Obtain your tickets to the Promotion Dance, as it’s the last chance to see your friends!

• April 24Quote of the Day: “If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs some more of that."

Theatre Elective

Photo+courtesy+of+Wikipedia.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Theatre Elective

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.

Picking a good elective is crucial to having a good time, learn amongst your friends, and even experience something unique that can help you in the future. Out of the many great elective courses that are offered at D. Russell Parks Junior High, theatre is a great elective to choose from. Theatre helps a lot of people get comfortable with being onstage, and is taught by a great teacher named Mrs. Vandergrift. After taking this course for a semester, it is safe to say that I personally have learned a lot of great tips for onstage performances and these skills can also come in handy when it comes to public speaking and performing in front of an audience. For people who love to act and just be themselves, this is the perfect elective for you. A former student from theater said, “Theatre helped me become comfortable not only acting in front of people, but just public speaking in general.”

Theatre is also a great chance for someone to come out of their shell and experience something that is new. The theatre elective has a bunch of courses that lead up to a reality show in the end of the semester. During these times, you meet new friends that you present with, and much more. In the reality show, there are 3 branches that a student can go into. In the beginning, we get familiar with acting or theatre mechanics in general and we start to warm up. However, as we progress further into the elective, the exercises and warm up become harder and more intense. These 3 branches are improv, commercials, and lastly, scenes and monologues. I prefer the improv section, as we get to play fun improv games, but if you are good at memorizing scripts and prompts, than scenes and monologues as well as commercials would be a very good branch for you to be in. The night of the reality show is very nerve wracking and many people feel super queasy. But in the end, everything is worth it. All in all, theatre is a great elective that I would recommend for anyone and everyone.