Parks Panther Press

• May 14The end of the school year is upon us! Obtain your tickets to the Promotion Dance, as it’s the last chance to see your friends!

• April 24Quote of the Day: “If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs some more of that."

Digital Design

Back to Article
Back to Article

Digital Design

Example of one of the Photoshop projects. Created by Eric L. F.

Parks Junior High has many different course offerings and one of them is Digital Design. DIgital Design is one of the three Multimedia Art courses taught by Mrs. Champlin in room 119A. Digital Design is split into three sections: Digital Photography, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator.

The first two projects were based in Digital Photography. In Digital Photography, students used Canon DSLR cameras, to take photos of both people, still life, and extreme closeups of objects. The students also learned how to use the Rule of Thirds, as well as how to use the color wheel. A student said, “Taking the pictures of all these things and applying to the rule of thirds is really fun.”

The next projects were done in Adobe Photoshop. The students used Photoshop to learn how to manipulate photos. They used their photos used in the first unit for the first two Photoshop projects. In the first project, they used a portrait of themselves and gave the image filters and a border to make the image nicer, as well as removing and adding certain parts to the picture to make it more appealing. In the next project, the students took extreme close-up pictures of objects so they weren’t easily recognizable. They then used photoshop to set the image to black and white, and 5en changed the colors to their liking. The next project required a lot more creativity. Students took free images from Google, and Photoshopped them together to make their own image.

The final unit was Adobe Illustrator. With Illustrator, students learned about how vector images work and why vector images always retain quality no matter how close you zoom up. In Illustrator, the students created a poster type image based on an inspirational quote.

Overall, Digital Design was a very entertaining and interesting elective. I would recommend it to anyone because the only skills it requires is basic knowledge on how to use a computer and virtually no art experience. In fact, I believe this elective is best experienced without any art experience as everything will be new and interesting.