Parks Panther Press

• May 14The end of the school year is upon us! Obtain your tickets to the Promotion Dance, as it’s the last chance to see your friends!

• April 24Quote of the Day: “If you have the power to make someone happy, do it. The world needs some more of that."

Game 7: Canes versus Caps

Back to Article
Back to Article

Game 7: Canes versus Caps

Joey W., Sports’ Editor

After what seemed to be a century, game seven of the Capitals versus the Hurricanes was decided. What was the third longest game seven in NHL history, the Hurricanes got a dirty, lucky goal which was scored by none other than Justin Williams, their captain. This wasn’t what anyone expected, as the defending Stanley Cup Champions fell to one of the most weakest teams in the current NHL.

The most important thing, however, fell in the handshake line. Alexander Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals Captain, shook hands and spoke briefly with Andrej Svechnikov, who he had knocked out the game before. The story went like this: The Capitals were down, 5-0, and Andrej Svechnikov found Alexander Ovechkin. The two had chirped before so there was a pretty tense rivalry forming between the two. Svechnikov, who only weighs 185 pounds, challenged Ovechkin, who weighs 240 pounds, to a duel. With one thundering blow, Alexander Ovechkin clocked Svechnikov in the face. He fell down right to the floor, and the fight was over as quickly as it had started. After the game, Ovechkin said “That wasn’t my intention. I’m not a fighter, but when he asked me to a fight, I had to accept it. He was the instigator, not me. However, I truly do feel bad and hope he has a speedy recovery.”

Anyways, the two showed sportsmanship and class through this simple handshake. Everyone cheered, and the game was over. As it was nothing short of a brawl, I would have never guessed that the Hurricanes would have won, however it was a well deserved victory. I personally cannot wait to whiteness the next series between the New York Islanders and the Carolina Hurricanes. All in all, this was definitely a series that no hockey fan would ever forget. Congratulations to the Carolina Hurricanes.

About the Writer
Joey W., Sports Editor

Joey Winthrop is currently an 8th grader attending Parks Jr. High. Outside of his academic career, he is an exceptional hockey player and plays AAA travel...