Welcome to Riverdale: The Town with Pep

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome to Riverdale: The Town with Pep

Illustration courtesy of XOHazelWatercolors

Coco Standley, Staff Writer

Greetings from Riverdale…

For those just tuning in, let me start by sharing a quick backstory on the hit television show, Riverdale. Besides the fact it is filled with catchy ’80s cover songs and Gen X and Y references your parents will love, Riverdale can be described in one word as: dark. I guess that’s appropriate since the premise revolves around high school students from a small community who are stunned by the murder of their classmate, Jason Blossom. 

What once was considered the perfect town is now under a microscope and they will come face-to-face with many secrets this death has uncovered. Fans of the TV show watch as the “core four,” Archibald (Archie) Andrews, Veronica Lodge, Elizabeth (Betty) Cooper, and Jughead Jones, deal with a rise of crimes in Riverdale which leads them to solve mysteries as they unfold. 

Let’s just say the murder of Jason Blossom caused a domino effect which resulted in a chain of events raising the crime rate on this sleeping little town. By the end of season three, nobody will ever see Riverdale the same way ever again. 

The Riverdale Soundtrack

Only a few episodes in, I couldn’t help but notice what could be considered the hidden gem of this series. It wasn’t a particular character or storyline, but the songs that often accompany the scenes. As soon as I realized that I could take Riverdale on the go with me, I hurried up and downloaded a bunch of the tunes that I recognized and made a Spotify playlist.  

Sure, many of them sound a lot different than the original version I am used to, but I like that. They took these songs and the cast of Riverdale made the covers their own to fit the plot. Here are some of my favorites…

Bittersweet Symphony (feat. Ashleigh Murray and Camila Mendes) – There is something about the beat that I loved about this song from The Verve. This version sung by two girls, sounds just as cool. I really like this version. 

It’s a Mad World (feat. K.J. Apa, Camila Mendes, and Lili Reinhart) – There is something really calming about this song that I really enjoy. I can listen to it as I fall asleep at night, or have it playing quietly while I do my homework after school. 

Kids In America (feat. K.J. Apa and Camila Mendes) – I never remember a time when music wasn’t playing in my house. For as long as I can remember, music was always coming out of a speaker from somewhere. “Kids In America” was one of those tunes. It was originally sung by a singer named Kim Wylde, but my parents always had the Foo Fighters version playing and I loved it. 

Dream Warriors (feat. K.J. Apa, Ashleigh Murray, Camila Mendes, and Lili Reinhart) – I recently found out that this song was originally written for one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. This now makes sense since it is mentioned in the show a few times. In fact, Nightmare on Elm Street is not only mentioned, but quoted throughout the series. 

Union of the Snake (feat. Camila Mendes, Hayley Law, and Asha Bromfield) – One group that I know from the 1980s is the band, Duran Duran. They sang this song first, and then it was featured in the “Pickens Day” episode for the fair when Hermoine Lodge becomes mayor. This is another example of a great song that was originally sung by men, but now the girls of Riverdale have given it a cool new twist 

We Don’t Need Another Hero (feat. Ashleigh Murray) – This is one song I really like to sing, and loudly. OK, I may not be the greatest singer, but after doing some digging, I found out that this is originally a song sung by Tina Turner. I asked my mom about it and she said that all of Tina Turner songs are meant to be sung out loud. She sounds amazing just like this song. 

Back to Black (feat. Ashleigh Murray) – Amy Winehouse is another example of a talented musician who was very popular when I was very little and around the time I was born. I can remember her songs playing at home and this was one of them. Actually, I hadn’t thought of this song in a really long time until Riverdale featured it. 

I love the soundtrack so much that I would like to share the Official Riverdale Spotify playlist with you. It not only has my favorites, but songs from all of the seasons as well. 

Are You a Fan of Riverdale? 

If so, share in the comments below who your favorite character is. And stay tuned, because Season 4 of Riverdale is heading to The CW and Netflix in October. So catch up now!