Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Red Ribbon Week 2023

Between Oct. 23 – Oct 31., schools across the United States celebrate Red Ribbon Week which spotlights the importance of living your life drug-free. The event spreads awareness to all students about the harmful effects of drugs and not to proceed with the efforts of drug cartels.

Red Ribbon Week started in 1988 and has been celebrated for over 30 years. The event was organized by the National Family Partnership to honor Agent Enrique and his sacrifice. Years ago, Agent Enrique was investigating drug traffickers, and later those drug traffickers murdered him. Today, schools participate in this week-long campaign to honor him and remind students of his original mission.

At Parks Junior High, students participated in Red Ribbon Week by dressing up for different spirit days and completing various activities to represent how they live a healthy life. On Monday, students wore red, from hair pieces to clothes to shoes. Other spirit days included crazy hair day, crazy sock day, and more. During lunch, there were fun games such as a stand where students colored posters that said “Stay Drug Free.” They also had students spin a wheel where they answered trivia questions and won prizes such as a pair of sunglasses. Red Ribbon Week is always a fun week on campus and hopefully, it will remind students to follow Red Ribbon Week’s official slogan: “Be Kind To Your Minds, Live Drug Free.”