Emily Loza: Speech and Debate

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emily Loza: Speech and Debate

A few of Emily’s medals

A few of Emily’s medals

A few of Emily’s medals

A few of Emily’s medals

Micaiah G., Writer

Emily Loza is a seventh grader at Parks Jr. High, and is on the Speech and Debate team.  In Speech, each member of the team gets an event or genre, such as prose, declamation, or poetry.  Emily’s event is a prose, which is more of a serious topic. Her speech is about a volcanologist that is trying to get a family away from an active volcano.  The family won’t move and the volcano explodes. In the end, the character tragically dies.

This is part of Emily’s current speech.

When Emily has a tournament, she has to dress formally . This usually means wearing a dress.  She will have to travel in a bus with others on her team to a high school at 6:00 a.m. When they get to the school, they eat and do some vocal warm ups. Then they must check the postings, which are posted on the doors of the classrooms.  Depending on the event each student is in, they will present their speeches at assigned times. First, they will do three rounds. In each round there is a group of students that presents their speeches. When everyone finishes a round, they take a break and rest before going to the next round.  After the three rounds, if the judges think the student did well, they can go to the semi-finals. If they do so good that they pass the semi-finals, they can go to the finals. After that round, they go to an awards assembly, and each student gets called up and gets a medal or trophy. Then they come back to Parks, or wherever they originally met, at around 6-9 p.m. at night.  Last September, Emily got to the Finals and won first place!

A few of Emily’s medals

Last year, she had a declamation speech about a girl who loved poetry and encourages people to use poetry as a way to guide them.  This year, Emily is in Varsity Speech and Debate.