Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

The Baltimore Bridge Collapse

The Baltimore Bridge Collapse

On Tuesday, March 26, the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, Maryland, collapsed causing the death of six workers. The cause for this tragedy was when a huge container ship, the Dali, which stretched over 1,000 feet, crashed into the landmark. The Dali cargo ship was scheduled to go from Baltimore to Sri Lanka, but not far after leaving, it lost power. Luckily, the crew of the Dali was able to send an emergency alert to prevent any more cars from driving onto the bridge, preventing thousands of more deaths. Because of this, many civilian lives were saved but at the time of the crash, a construction team had been filling potholes on the bridge. Six of those workers had fallen to their deaths. 

On April 2, crews began work to open a channel to bypass the debris and wreckage, and a third channel is expected to open shortly. President Biden has launched a plan to reopen the port, rebuild the bridge, and aid the people of Baltimore while Maryland’s congressional delegation will sponsor the cost of a new bridge.