Parks Panther Press

The Student News Site of Parks Junior High School

Parks Panther Press

Parks Panther Press

Barbie Movie Divides Audience With Strong Messaging

The “Barbie” movie received many great reviews, but the film also has received many criticisms. Starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, and released on July 21, 2023, the movie met with immediate criticism for being “too woke” or “anti-man.” One of the reviews said, “Mattel’s CEO and corporate people started as a mockery of men having all the top positions in a company; as the movie goes, they’re just there at the back of your mind, and it’s an unpleasant experience because they did nothing after.” This review describes how the movie was overall, terrible because of the “joke” of having only men in superior positions. 

However, people also thought that the film presented the message in a powerful yet respectful way. Supporters emphasized how the movie presents men and women as significant individuals in society, but spotlights the very realistic issues women deal with in the real world. One critic states, “It perfectly reflects many parts of what it’s like to be a woman/Afab at all stages of life, and that aging is a privilege; it’s beautiful and should be sought after and celebrated.”

Overall, the “Barbie” movie received favorable reviews with an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes.  While some criticized its “wokeness”, others believe the movie was inspiring and the perfect symbol for feminism and woman empowerment. Did you watch the film and if you did, what did you think?